THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Sunday, 05.05.2024, 00:32
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Theatre and Acting » What makes a performance successful? (theatre)
What makes a performance successful?
AsyaDate: Thursday, 21.04.2011, 07:21 | Message # 1
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
I suppose that there are many factors that make a performance successful. But I think that the main reason is talented actors and actresses. It is beyond any words when the acting of the cast is subtle. In this case the performance gets an excellent perception by the audience, either moving the spectators into tears or making the public laugh throughout the play. I believe that a performance is successful when you enjoy it from the moment the curtain goes up to the end of the last act.

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 21.04.2011, 12:33 | Message # 2
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
I agree with these words completely. A play may be performed by one single actor on the stage without any decorations. And still it will be worth seeing because it’s people who sing, dance, laugh, cry in front of the audience and thus make the space above the stage animate and stirring. Costumes, décor and instrumental music are also important, but they can be done away with if the producer’s idea demands it. I have no doubt that the actors’ performance is surely the key point for the audience to decide whether what they’ve seen was agitating or not.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

MaksDate: Thursday, 21.04.2011, 17:35 | Message # 3
Student
Awards: 0
Every performance can be successful if every actor and actress plays his or her role very well.

2YoungDate: Friday, 22.04.2011, 01:43 | Message # 4
Monitor
Well, it sounds quite right, but still i don't agree with it. Of course, the way of playing a role matters, and no one will watch a play with bad actors. But i think that the main idea of the play must be "close" to the audience.

Metus, dolor, mors ac formidines

AsyaDate: Friday, 22.04.2011, 05:57 | Message # 5
Can't but agree with you. I don't remember (unfortunately) who expressed this idea during our discussion yesterday (I suppose that was Anton) but a performance is successful when the audience understands it and when people see what they want to see. 2Young, does this idea correspond to your thoughts?

MaksDate: Sunday, 24.04.2011, 19:55 | Message # 6
Student
This world is rich with different kinds of performances. And i think that every performance can be successful. The main factor which has a big influence on the success of the performance is the good play of actors and actresses. If the performance makes an impression on the audience, this performance will be successful.

Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 27.04.2011, 10:57 | Message # 7
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
When I watch a play or any kind of movie, I look for the story, the plot, the conflict, the dialogues, the themes, the author's vision, the choice of characters and objects that the author has chosen to render his thoughts. Only after that I pay attention to acting and cotumes. I have seen many wonderful performamces with wonderful acting but failed to see and share the story, the conflicts, the themes. But I always praise top professional acting no matter whether I am positive or negative to the content.

VoozzyDate: Thursday, 05.05.2011, 21:46 | Message # 8
Student
To my mind,a good acting and an interesting plot make a performance successful, because the "mission" is to interest the spectator, so, i think, these are two main things for people who come to the theatre.

2YoungDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 00:17 | Message # 9
Monitor
Asya, of course these are my thoughts. Do you think i'd write something i don't believe in?)

Metus, dolor, mors ac formidines

AsyaDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 06:32 | Message # 10
No, not you. I just tried to get what that "close" in your message means. Judging by your reply, I've got you quite right.

TeacherDate: Tuesday, 07.06.2011, 00:02 | Message # 11
Head teacher
Group: Admins
Voozzy, I agree with you. As for me the main key to success is a mixture of perfect acting and thought-provoking and fascinating plot. That is because script writer's ideas are expressed through the play of actors.

In Vino Veritas...

AsyaDate: Monday, 20.06.2011, 08:34 | Message # 12
My news isn't urgent any more. But still I want to share my experience. On June, 5 Luck and I went to the theatre to watch a play performed by a Norwegian theatre. This was a play without words. Sounds, light, movements - this is what made the performance successful.
This was a play with its deep sense, conveying interesting ideas - but no words were needed. Just an excellent play of actors and a creative director.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 20.06.2011, 12:42 | Message # 13
Dean
Awards: 3
Wow, I've never seen such a performance! And what theatre was it? H'm that's funny but I've just caught myself at thinking about the advantages of playing such a role for an actor. I mean he doesn't have to learn long monologues, practice the tone and loudness of his speech to perfection...he can simply hoarsen and no one will take any notice of the fact, so the double won't be needed))) Well, of course, I'm not serious, it's the stream of ideas not more. On the contrary, such an actor must be concentrated to the utmost not to miss any detail. Another thing is rehearsals. I guess they are really hardscrabble! Fancy spending hours polishing one's movements, gestures and facial expressions!

NadyaDate: Saturday, 25.06.2011, 11:20 | Message # 14
Sounds, light, movements - this is what made the performance successful.

I completely agree with you. But I also think that another reason of the performance's success can be combination high and low art in it. I mean it was very interesting to see how the choreographer of this performance could compare football with such a kind of art as dance and totalize them. The results turned out to be amazing! After this play I can say that football, in some way, can also relate to art smile

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 30.08.2011, 10:55 | Message # 15
Dean
Awards: 3
Agree with you completely, it produces a really fascinating effect on me! A week ago I (!finally)) arrived at the decision to go to the match of our local team. You know after a long time of hesitations (what if the company at the stadium is low, what if there's too much swearing during the play, what if the weather is inappropriate...and so on)) I got unforgettable impressions! Of course the quality of refereeing, technical support and the number of people on the stands can't be compared with the premiere-league but upon my word it doesn't matter because the atmosphere, struggle and emotions are TRUE!) Now, going back to the point I can say with all my heart that an amazing performance doesn't necessarily presuppose theatre or even stage. The question resolves itself into your own perception of what's going on.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Theatre and Acting » What makes a performance successful? (theatre)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024