THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 27.04.2024, 00:59
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Nadya  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Art - Painting, Sculpture, Architecture » Painting As a Kind of Art
Painting As a Kind of Art
NadyaDate: Saturday, 26.03.2011, 15:43 | Message # 1
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
Painting is a very important part of our life. A lot of people go to art galleries, visit different exhibitions. Of course not all people do it, however, everyone has some paintings on the wals at home. Why is it so?
How do you think, why people like looking at paintings or buying them? Does it bring any joy?

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 26.03.2011, 20:56 | Message # 2
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Well, the reasons for having pictures at home are various. The simpliest is that they just suit the interior and this argument seems to me very weighty because such details create the proper atmosphere at home. I know this for sure because I have almost a gallery in my flat) Another reason is fashion and unfortunately some people misunderstand it buying showy cheapie in order to impress their guests. Of course, it has nothing to do with art.

NekavaenDate: Sunday, 27.03.2011, 00:53 | Message # 3
Head teacher
Awards: 1
Painting is one of the most ancient forms of art. People have been practicing it for thousands of years. Of course, as time goes by the tastes of people, the plots of pictures and the techniques used for creating new colored masterpieces alter greatly.

Nowadays humans are creative like never before, especially when choosing materials. There are those who draw with edible substances (for example, chocolate or fruit jam) – such paintings please both eyes and nose (with pleasant scents). There are those who use their own or animal blood – sounds strange and disgusting but connoisseurs of such experiments can also be found among us.

I think it’s stupid to hang a picture at home just because it harmonizes with furniture or helps to hide a hole in wallpapers. I believe that each work of art is full of energy. A stone or a piece of canvas become animate when human hands touch them and begin to imagine, depict, mold, change… So, if a picture is not printed, if it is a hand-made drawing, it can influence us. It doesn’t matter if the picture is big or small, prim or funny – we should keep it nearby only if it helps us feel better and fills our hearts with joy and mind – with pleasant memories.

As for me, I never buy pictures. I often get them as presents and, though my flat is very small, I always find place for them. Then I look at the drawings and remember people who gave them to me. Luckily, my relatives and friends know what I’m fond of and their presents are always appropriate.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Message edited by Nekavaen - Sunday, 27.03.2011, 00:53

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 27.03.2011, 14:29 | Message # 4
Dean
All you've said is true but I can't get what's so bad in decorating one's house with pictures just for some balance and design. I think it's natural and it doesn't deprive pictures of their artistic value. We can regard them as an element of decor as, I don't know, photographs.

NadyaDate: Sunday, 27.03.2011, 18:26 | Message # 5
A lot of people buy paintings just to decorate their house. And I can't say that it's bad or it's good, it's their decision.
Well, and what do you thing about the painting "Black Square" by K. Malevich? Is it an artwork? Because some people think that even their child could paint such a picture. What do you think about pictures that are drawn by animals? Some people spend lots of money on, for example, monkey's drawing. Will you buy such a drawing?

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 29.03.2011, 14:19 | Message # 6
Head teacher
I adore classical art school when you see the painting and understand what or who is drawn there. I like pictures that show the beauty of human body and nature in a traditional way.

Of course, there are painting styles that are difficult to comprehend. For example, surrealism, the followers of which claim that a person becomes himself or herself only when mind is switched off. With such a belief they draw enigmatic pictures that are so complicated that one can’t decide at once: is it a human or an animal, how many objects are there, why are unsuitable things drawn together, why are the dimensions distorted? I stay indifferent to such paintings. I know that there are works that are famous all around the world, I have a friend who is a crazy fan of Salvador Dali (A Genius of Surrealism) but I can’t accept this style. I feel as if the artist wanted to mock at others and that’s why drew a picture that only he can construe properly.

About “Black Square”… They say the strokes of paint-brush are unique on this picture and that’s why EVERYBODY sees something different between them. I can hardly believe it’s true but I’m dreaming of having a look at this “dark riddle”.

I would buy animal drawings only if I were a very rich person and visited a charitable auction.

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 29.03.2011, 15:45 | Message # 7
Well, as for me, I wouldn't buy such a drawing of animals if it was expensive enough.
Another thing, people are ready to buy diffrent works of famous painters even if the paintings are not very beautiful. Of course, people have their own taste and they buy what they find amazing. However, sometimes we can meet very beautiful and unique unknown painting in the shops or markets but people don't pay any attention to it. What do you think about this? Is it really better to buy any work of famous painters than a painting of unknown person?

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 29.03.2011, 19:26 | Message # 8
Dean
No doubt, it's a matter of conformism. It finds expression in all spheres of life, unfortunately. Some people shout from the housetops how progressive and stereotypes-free they are but in fact they can't make a step without someone's approval. And another problem is ignorance, I mean we don't know art well enough to judge works ourselves.

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 31.03.2011, 10:30 | Message # 9
Head teacher
Additional self or academic art education can help us understand paintings better, that’s true. It’s almost impossible to apprehend, for example, the meanings of icons without knowing specific religious symbols, gestures of holy people, types of exposition and biblical plots. Secular painting is divided into various styles, in some of which colors are symbolic and we should read shades like verse. And of course a lot of pictures are devoted to real historical events, literature and myths. Sometimes we can’t understand the meaning of a drawing before reading the biography of a particular artist.

Still I think art was invented first of all to delight and agitate us. Little children who hardly know any names of famous painters come to galleries and look at the pictures they like with interest and say “That’s beautiful” or “That’s strange”. Even if we are not able to explain the meaning of the picture that’s in front of us, we can express our general attitude to it. I’m sure if a person (who knows nothing about art) sees a picture and feels discomfort and repugnancy, he or she won’t change his or her mind after a detailed explanation of a museum guide. And if a person sees a beautiful picture and gets interested in it, he or she will search for its description and ask questions.

I think it’s not bad to be ignorant in terms of art and acknowledge this. But it’s irritating when somebody pretends to be an art expert but can’t distinguish between romanticism and realism.

For rich people art is becoming a good area for financial investment. They buy famous paintings and keep them at home as symbols of their power and authority. I think it’s not good because eternal art treasures should be available for everybody. If a person has a lot of money, he or she can help existing public galleries or build new ones and hang bought artifacts there.

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 01.04.2011, 18:47 | Message # 10
Dean
H'm, I don't think it's wrong. We need money for the satisfaction of our needs and wants, so if you've achieved a lot, why not buy something fabulous and extremely expensive? What if this or that picture is one's yearning? Besides, it's a huge edited system, there are various auctions and sales aimed at such clients.

ValeriyaDate: Monday, 11.04.2011, 14:08 | Message # 11
Monitor
Painting is one of the oldest and most important arts. The paintings that artists create have great value for humanity. They provide people with both enjoyment and information. People enjoy painting for many reasons. They may think a painting in beautiful. Some paintings interest people because of the way the artist expresses some human emotion, such as fear, grief, happiness, or love. Other paintings are enjoyable because they skillfully portray nature. Even paintings of such everyday scenes as people at work and play and of such common objects as food and flowers can be a source of pleasure.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 11.04.2011, 20:31 | Message # 12
Dean
That's the magic effect of art! It absorbs and fascinates us but no one can solve its mystery. So, what's its secret, how do you think? Maybe, art reveals our ulterior motives and innermost feelings, the deepest emotions and hidden fears? Maybe, it makes us more humane? Or on the contrary, it unmasks us and we see ourselves as we really are, without any embellishment?

NadyaDate: Monday, 11.04.2011, 20:38 | Message # 13
Valeriya, you are completely right. Paintings are not just pictures with good combination of colours, they are expressions, feelings which painters want to bring to us.
And what styles do you prefer? What are your favourite painters? What paintings are you amazed at? And why?

LuckDate: Tuesday, 12.04.2011, 11:24 | Message # 14
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
Well, I think every picture reflects something important because when an artist starts painting he usually has an idea in his mind and he wants to express something in the canvas. And unfortunately not everyone can get this very idea. I myself have never been able to understand such pictures as "The Black Square" or some picures by Salvador Dali because I see only blurs and some strange lines- nothing more. Probably we simply do not want to think deeper, but in my opinion, for ordinary audience, pictures should bring pleasure and joy, but not cause a hard process of thinking and looking for something. That is why I prefer pictures that can show me something CLEAR.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 12.04.2011, 14:49 | Message # 15
Head teacher
I always feel the same when I go to an exhibition or visit sites devoted to fine arts on the Internet. I like the works of Pierre-Auguste Renoir. He is a creative master of impressionism and classical painting style. I enjoy his still-life pictures and canvas portraying people. Renoir’s technic is very unusual, his shades and accents are intriguing and wonderful. His pictures make me relaxed and thoughtful at the same time.

Attachments: 8621911.jpg (20.4 Kb)

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Art - Painting, Sculpture, Architecture » Painting As a Kind of Art
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024