THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 29.03.2024, 12:24
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Drinking as Social Behaviour » Drinking as a Cultural Norm
Drinking as a Cultural Norm
Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 28.03.2011, 14:26 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
This theme is also a debatable point for many people. Drinking is probably accepted in all cultures. Drinking alcohol has similar and different patterns across cultures. So, is drinking a cultural norm or is it a sign of cultural drawbacks? Is this norm necessary? Again. I am inviting you all to brainstorm the subject-raletd questions and answer them together.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 29.03.2011, 14:31 | Message # 2
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
It’s a serious problem that people believe in various myths about alcohol and teach their children these myths are true. For example, there is a custom of drinking a bit before the meal – “a shot for better appetite”. In reality a healthy person eats well without any stimulation. And also if a human is hungry, consumption of alcohol can cause the burn of stomach mucous coat.

Another myth says that alcohol helps us to get warm. Yes, such effect is obvious but it lasts for several minutes, half an hour in rare cases but never longer! If a person is cold we can save him or her by a swig, but then he or she should be quickly transported to a warm place. A lot of people start drinking outdoors in winter and put off their coats when they are hot, being sure that alcohol won’t let them catch a cold. If a drunkard doesn’t stop drinking and falls asleep outdoors, it may be the end of his or her life.

It is also a strange thing to say that drinking beer and wine is not as dangerous as drinking vodka or cognac just because the percentage of ethyl alcohol is different. Serious researches and examples from everyday life show us that all these drinks in large amounts can turn an intellectual human into a weak-willed plant.

At the same time alcohol consumed in reasonable dozes and used in folk medicine and cooking can be absolutely safe and very useful.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

8davids8Date: Sunday, 10.04.2011, 14:37 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Wouldn't agree on some issues here.

1) Drinking alcohol is always connected with increasing appetite. The more you drink, the more you want to eat. That's why a small dose (like 50 ml) of any apperetive wouldn't harm but will give a little raise in appetite. The burn of stomach muocous coat can be caused by a glass of ethyl spirit I think. People invented digestive drinks long ago, and there were times when drinking at meals was a sign of good upbringing. No one asks you to abuse.
2) The warm effect of alcohol continues as long as it is in your blood. A huge quantity of alcohol can warm quite well, and the effect will last long, but certainly people usually catch cold while neglecting cold weather being drunk. Actually they invented warm clothes long ago in order to warm up themselves.
3) They say so because you can hardly drink 10 bottles of beer or 3 bottles of wine, but it is quite possible for some to drink a bottle of vodka, though the harm from these doses is the same as the aclohol content in them is equal. You should never abuse - know when enough is enough. I should say that quality beer is less harmful than dimedrol beer, and dye wine is more harmful than premium brand French wine. The thing is not in the kind of drink but in its overall quality.
4) Taking alcohol at meals means the same as if you used it for digestion.

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 10.04.2011, 22:30 | Message # 4
Dean
Awards: 3
I know that radicalism leads to no good but this question is sp delicate... On the one hand, it's silly to deny reality and say that all these traditions are only an excuse. Controlled drinking (as well as eating!) can be rather sophisticated and "intelligent". It's simply beautiful as if it were a kind of art. But on the other hand more and more people just to skulk behind the customs and use them as a cover for their degradation. Anyway, we can't speak for all nations.

LuckDate: Tuesday, 12.04.2011, 11:40 | Message # 5
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
They say that Russains are people who take alcohol in the biggest doses but this is simply a stereotype because people got used to the idea "russians drink vodka a lot" but what about English people who drink whisky or French people who likes their wine? It all depends on the amount of alcohol you take in.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 12.04.2011, 14:44 | Message # 6
Head teacher
Yes, that’s right. Most people in the world are sure Russians and Finns drink more than others. But according to the latest research (2010) the British are the “winners” here. If I’m not mistaken, more than 84% of grown-up consume alcohol regularly on the British Isles.
I’ve also heard that in 2011 people who live in Moldova were called the most drinking nation in the world.

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 12.04.2011, 20:10 | Message # 7
Dean
Awards: 3
It's only statistics but it seems to me that all these stereotypes are not groundless. People do drink a lot!!! Alcohol ruins lives, families, corrupts children's values and principles. And this wave is all-absorbing!! Upon my word, sometimes I want to shoot such creatures who are not real people any longer and make them suffer torments for everything they have done to their close people!!!!

Fr_ArseniosDate: Saturday, 16.04.2011, 12:55 | Message # 8
Student
Awards: 0
The Bible says, "Wine maketh glad the heart of man" (Ps.104,15). It's a pity we can see many people whose life is ruined by alcohol. So, it is not wine that is evil, but the evil is if we can't consume it properly. Everything is good to measure. If you don't know your measure, don't drink at all. Drinking, man must not turn to an animal, i.e. must not lose his mind and vision. Because without mind man can commit the most awful and irreversible actions. Everything excessive, not only alcohol, can do harm: TV, the Internet, food, medicines, knowledge, work, sport, etc.

NekavaenDate: Monday, 18.04.2011, 00:27 | Message # 9
Head teacher
As far as I know, Christianity belongs to those cults the followers of which shouldn’t give up drinking completely. Alcohol is an essential part of our religious culture because it is used in the sacrament of communion in churches. Cahors wine symbolizes Christ’s blood.

AyayuliaDate: Wednesday, 20.04.2011, 15:10 | Message # 10
Union organizer
I often communicate with people who drink alcohol, while I have to be absolutely sober because I am a driver that evening. A drunken person looks funny and sometimes even silly. When you aren’t on the same wave, it is rather difficult to bear this drunken behavior.

MegastarostaDate: Tuesday, 21.06.2011, 00:06 | Message # 11
Union organizer
I know that other nations think about Russian that drinking is our tradition. There is an anecdote about it, when the relationships in ordinary Russian family was described and the word "to drink vodka" repeated in every remark. When i was in Holland and stayed there in host family i was sick and tired of the question "Is it true that Russian people drink vodka every day".

VasilisaDate: Tuesday, 10.04.2012, 00:01 | Message # 12
Monitor
Nowadays alcohol is a way to communicate with people. When a person is drunk, he is relaxed and brave. He tells jokes, laughs and so on. It seems to him he is the most interesting person in the world. But in reality when he is sober, it's rather difficult to behave in such a way. He fells shyness, maybe fear that other people don't like him. Besides, a person needs alcohol to forget about his problems, impove his mood and maybe go on partys. Today it's modern for teenagers drink alohol at all parties or before them. To tell the truth, it's really awful. Alcohol has already become a cultural norm. Every child can buy it. One day i saw a film by Germanika "All will die and I will remain" and "School" which showed me the real position of alcohol in our country.

Message edited by Vasilisa - Tuesday, 10.04.2012, 00:03

LeoDate: Tuesday, 17.04.2012, 20:05 | Message # 13
Monitor
Yesterday I went for a walk with my friend. In this case, I can say that drinking has become a daily necessity for people. One thing is clear - IT's disgusting. Teenagers, young mothers with their small children, lovers were drinking. What can we else notice in this situation!?......JUST WELL DONE!!!Good bye Russia!

VasilisaDate: Wednesday, 18.04.2012, 00:56 | Message # 14
Monitor
Oh, yes, Leo. You are gorgeous. I'm quite right with you. If even in this forum ladies blame themselves that there are no gentlemen in Russia what can we say?
Alcohol is everywhere. Nowadays people can't live without it. For example, boyfriends can't walk without beer and of course their girls join them. Our reality is so stern... I imagine what children will be in some years.
So, Leo, i see the only way... Let's pack our bags...

Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 18.04.2012, 12:15 | Message # 15
Dean
If so, then what can any of us do? Don't we all sometimes support and motivate this 'cultural' norm to strengthen and be part of our lifestyle? Or is it something more profound and socially provoked? cool

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Drinking as Social Behaviour » Drinking as a Cultural Norm
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024