[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Medicine and Health » Healthy Living
Healthy Living
ValeriyaDate: Sunday, 27.02.2011, 22:06 | Message # 1
Monitor
Group: Users
Awards: 0
It is known that healthy people live longer and their career is more successful. To look well you must follow some simple rules: don’t smoke and take drugs, don’t drink alcohol, don’t eat too many chips and sweets, eat more vegetables and fruit, sleep well, do exercises. I like to dance, to ride a bicycle and to swim and I like roller-skating very much. I wait when the snow melts, I will put on roller-skates and will go outdoors. I will spend one or two hours every day skating with my friends and we will have a lot of fun!I don’t smoke (nobody smokes in our family). I know that this very bad habit may cause serious problems in your health. I do my morning exercises, try to eat “healthy” food and think that this is really a good way to live. smile

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 28.02.2011, 22:01 | Message # 2
Dean
Awards: 3
Oh....this healthy way of life)))) I do support the idea and actually I follow such a lifestyle but I should admit that there's too much information about it now! It sometimes seems to me that all its principles are forced on us.It sounds strange but still I feel that. I have a suspicion that a healthy lifestyle has become just another current trend for a number of people.

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 01.03.2011, 11:00 | Message # 3
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
I agree with all your rules. I also try to follow them all the time. I don't smoke (by the way nobody smokes in my family either), don't take drugs, don't drink alcohol, don't eat too many sweets, try to do more exercises and not to be nervous . Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to sleep 8-9 hours every day but I do this when I can. I try to make my lifestyle more active. I walk a lot, swim in summer, ski in winter, play volleyball. It really helps me to feel better.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 01.03.2011, 15:34 | Message # 4
Head teacher
Awards: 1
I don’t think it’s bad for our society to have such a trend. And speaking about information, I would rather watch a program or visit a site devoted to healthy lifestyle than get another portion of criminal news and listen to our phony politicians.

I’ve never smoked in my life and I let nobody do it in my presence (even close relatives are banned from the flat if they want to light up). I do physical exercises every day, rarely eat chips and sweets and never drink pops. I allow myself to visit fast food restaurants only once or twice a year. My only sin – a glass of beer once a month…

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 02.03.2011, 09:31 | Message # 5
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Healthy living- it is so simple, so important, so good, so cheap, so pleasant biggrin But we are often so stupid, so careless, so destructive, so lazy to think that one's health is like a tiny object that requires basic care and attention because it must function and give positive energy to our body and mind.
Very simple rules to return to a healthy lifestyle - regular meals, healthy diet, a good choice of food, good exercise, no bad habits, regular fasts... and a positive, optimistic view on life!
Good health in a good mind! I know that to live a healthy life means to maintain self-discipline, just to like yourself and keep yourself in good shape and mood!
To start healthy living is surprisingly simple - one good thing a day! For example, watch less TV and do more chores about the house.
Look through the link http://exercise.about.com/od/healthinjuries/a/healthylifestyl.htm to see that a lot of people think the same.
Well, I really must quit smoking cool
P.S.: Folks! I have an idea. Let's write here the main rules for healthy living and the main arguments because some people don't take things for granted, they must be convinced.

NekavaenDate: Friday, 04.03.2011, 13:08 | Message # 6
Head teacher
I liked the site about healthy lifestyle very much. The main message I’ve found there is the following: nobody forces us to change our principals and regime swiftly and radically. “Drastic changes almost always lead to failure” – that’s right! It’s certainly better to make small steps to a renewed, absolutely healthy and happy “you” bit by bit.

I’m sure every person should pay attention to the food he or she consumes, be physically active and try to get rid of bad habits. As far as the latter ones are concerned, they are HARMFUL not only for ourselves but also for people who are around us now and for our future children. It’s not accidental that smoking and alcoholism are called “diseases dangerous for the society” nowadays.

I wanted to talk about food in detail. Being precise, surfing the site devoted to healthy living, I’ve come across an interesting article in which the benefits of eating slowly are enumerated and explained. The author tries to convince us that eating fast is a problem, a harmful habit, a bad example to follow.

According to a recent research, people in the USA usually need 11 minutes to have a meal. But it’s an average amount of time. Some breakfasts and lunches may last for only 2 MINUTES!

Firstly, slow eating helps us taste our food better and experience more flavors and scents.
Secondly, it’s a widely spread problem that the members of modern families usually gather together only at the dining table. When the meal is over, everybody is busy with his or her work again. So, spending more time on family meals we can easily turn an ordinary dinner into a social event and improve relationships with close people.
Thirdly, it has been proved that if we slow down, we’ll be able to achieve the sense of fullness earlier and eat less.
Fourthly, eating slower improves digestion. According to the article, we should chew more to give our stomach an easier job.

P.S. Being honest, I’m now trying to convince myself first. I always wolf down food. shy

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 04.03.2011, 19:04 | Message # 7
Dean
That's a real problem! I think this habit literally sits in us somewhere very deep and it's practically impossible to kill it out. I think it is so because we can't allow oureslves to relax even for a while. Constant stress, troubles,wrinkled forehead, scowl, angular movements, hurry...Such a wonderful set of features, isn't it?

NekavaenDate: Saturday, 05.03.2011, 09:19 | Message # 8
Head teacher
I’m sure that if a person wants to make his or her life healthier, fighting stress must be the first step to take. There is a saying: “Stress is the root of any ailment”. I tend to believe it’s true. The fact is that constant worries weaken our immune system and, as a result, all kinds of diseases (including communicable ones) can be caught or acquired easier when we are alarmed.

To prevent stress from affecting their well-being, people should use special techniques: meditation, yoga, deep breathing exercises. It’s also quite easy to learn to use herbal treatment.

In the most serious cases the aid of a professional doctor can be a way out. But…maybe we should just smile more and do the things we like more often. Positive thinking will save us from anxiety and depression or, at least, reduce them. smile

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 05.03.2011, 10:28 | Message # 9
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
I have read through your posts and feel that I have really learned a lot about healthy living. The tone itself is so importnat because by reading such things on a regular basis, I start building my eating patterns according to these recommendations. One thing that I feel I must, really must, get rid of is not to eat at night. It often happens that I skip meals during the day (bad it is!) and make up for missing calories and energy at night!

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 05.03.2011, 19:30 | Message # 10
Dean
You're absolutely right, snacks at night are useless calories, they don't bring a sense of fullness and even cause sleep disorder! But of course, it's extremely difficult to give up this habit.
As far as stress is concerned...it has just occured to me, maybe stress and tension is just an excuse we create to conceal something (not even consciously)? It seems to me that we hear this word TOO OFTEN nowadays.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 22.03.2011, 23:15 | Message # 11
Head teacher
I think you are right to some extent. The word "stress" has become “fashionable” and is widely used by doctors, journalists, writers and ordinary people.

Still it’s true that the more developed our civilization becomes, the more worried the humans get. We become busier every day and this causes stress. I think the main problem is the following: everybody can easily say “I’m tensed. I’m depressed. Stress is killing me”. But not everyone is ready to think about his or her life critically and find mistakes that have led to such dissatisfaction. For there is only one thing all people try to hide or justify (when it’s too late to hide) – their laziness, both intellectual and physical.

I’m sure anxiety and neurasthenia don’t appear out of the blue. Maybe a person just can’t control his or her emotions and prefers to unleash them always. Then he or she regrets about it and feels guilty. And some people, on the contrary, hide their emotions all the time and suffer from it in their own way. Maybe, a person doesn’t even try to organize his or her daily activities properly and has no rest because of it.

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 23.03.2011, 20:29 | Message # 12
Dean
Maybe, but the reason is not only ingnorance and laziness, I mean very often it's just the force of circumstances. For example, a single woman with little children has to manage at two works in order to make both ends meet. Of course, she just can't waste her time at planning her rest and something of this kind. What is it? Stress,physical and mental exhaustion.

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 24.03.2011, 10:23 | Message # 13
Head teacher
Hm, if she is a mother, she should forget about rest, it’s true. Still it was her choice to give birth to several children before finding a stable and well-paid job. And I think that if such a person doesn’t organize her life sensibly and plan her activities every day, she will surely go insane in a month. She should remember a lot of things at once.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 24.03.2011, 21:01 | Message # 14
Dean
But a lot of people lead such a life in our country....I don't want to take the responsibility of judging them because not everything can be planned and predicted. Still, if we have touched upon this subject, I think our society has a HUGE problem: a lot of families have more children than they can afford. And I mean not only the material aspect, but also the emotional and educational ones! The worst thing is that people think it's OK and go on living like that.

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 31.03.2011, 10:34 | Message # 15
Head teacher
I’m always scolded by my mother for reading in dim light. She says I’ll be absolutely blind one day if I continue doing this. Still I’ve heard that in reality reading in the dark can cause eye fatigue but can’t contribute to vision damage. Yesterday my English teacher said it’s true.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Medicine and Health » Healthy Living
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024