THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 04.05.2024, 08:15
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Cinema and Movies » Any Movie News? (Watch, comment, advise, share)
Any Movie News?
lovefootball)Date: Monday, 16.05.2011, 20:47 | Message # 46
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Well, I can't take anybody's side just because I've never thought about this problem. On the one hand graphics considered as a technical characteristics, achievement and simply something extraordinary and progressive is worth wacthing. Besides, as far as I can make out, we aren't speaking of Avatar as of a cheapie. Maybe, its plot is not unique (again I can't say for sure!!!) but still it touches the heart of many people. But on the other hand a lot of directors inspired by James Cameron's example can simply forget about contents in pursuit of new form.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 17.05.2011, 11:47 | Message # 47
Head teacher
Awards: 1
I’ve watched “Avatar”. I enjoyed the form and experienced the advantages of new visual technologies. The plot itself turned out to be very predictable but it wasn’t boring or banal. On the whole the film was great. I didn’t regret buying a ticket and going to the cinema on my day-off.

Nowadays most films are full of action and the audience is waiting for special effects. It’s normal that our tastes and expectations are changing all the time. But I’m happy that we can still find films that are not overloaded with bright colors and unreal situations but make us think and cause strong emotions.
Several days ago I saw a film that’s not new and the story, to be honest, is not new but the movie has really impressed me. It was “Hachiko” – a film about a dog that was devoted to its mater like no one else and waited for him at the railway station for many years after his death. The film lasted for an hour and a half – I cried 2/3 of this time…

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

2YoungDate: Tuesday, 17.05.2011, 17:07 | Message # 48
Monitor
Awards: 0
Yesterday I watched "The Hitcher". It's not so old (2007) and is a remake of an old movie (80s-90s). I advice every one to watch the movie. It's about two lovers, who went for a trip. During the way they met a strange man. It turned out so that he was a maniac. I liked the film very much. It has some horror and thriller elements, so I can't say I lost my time watching it.

Metus, dolor, mors ac formidines

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 18.05.2011, 18:12 | Message # 49
Dean
It sounds strange,"...he was a maniac. I liked the film very much."))))))))))))))) What about the problem, some interesting ideas expressed, any food for thought? I'm not trying to preach moral but it was you who said that a movie should have something more than just a cover (when we were discussing Avatar). So, what's the main reason for such a rave review? Were the actors good? By the way, why do you have such a special attitude to thrillers and horror films? Maybe, you get adrenalin from them? Or the point is that other movies seem to you just products for mass culture?

2YoungDate: Wednesday, 18.05.2011, 19:05 | Message # 50
Monitor
Of course it's not a film just for watching. I didn't want to tell you the storyline, that was why i said so little about it. But if you want...
At the beginning it seems that the boyfriend is the leader. But then the maniac catches him and the girlfriend has to decide: she will kill the maniac or he will murder her boyfriend. The boyfriend turns out as a weak and will-less man. The girlfriend isn't strong enough to kill the maniac, so he kills the boyfriend and the police catches him. It seems that the movie is coming to its end, but the maniac is quite a genious. During the film he makes some traps for the lovers, so it seemed they were the murderers. And so he escapes the police, but now the girlfriend is strong enough to kill him...
So, the film shows the way from weakness to strength. The girlfriend kills the maniac, but she doesn't become a maniac. She doesn't get satisfaction from killing, like it was with the maniac. How to kill but save humanity? That's one of the questions of the movie.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 19.05.2011, 19:21 | Message # 51
Dean
H'm and do you think that's the only way to play upon the problem? I mean is it possile to answer this very question you've mentioned by means of some other genre, maybe an adventure film or melodrama? And what's your opinion? Do you approve of the girl's action? I'm not sure but I have a feeling that the demonstration of real strength would be not killing the maniac. In this case the main character would be totally free and confident,you know, "above" the situation.

2YoungDate: Thursday, 19.05.2011, 21:00 | Message # 52
Monitor
I think this movie would look worse being an adventure or a melodrama. Adventure films often express no thoughts and melodramas usually tell us about some love stories.
To kill the maniac, I think it was the only way out. The girl understood, if she wouldn't kill him, he would kill her and continue killing. She couldn't be above the situation. And as for the maniac, I don't perceive him as a a bad character. He helped the girl become stronger. Of course he killed her boyfriend, but you know, everything has its price. It was just a game for him...
OHHH, speaking about this I remembered one more film I like very much. It's "Saw". Yeah, recommend everyone to watch it, at least the 1st part.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 26.05.2011, 19:27 | Message # 53
Dean
And what about the other parts? Are they worse? It has just occured to me that I've NEVER watched any horror films in my life!))) And to tell the truth, I don't have such an intention...can't explain why. Maybe, the reason is one and the same plot (or it's nothing more than my subjective opinion, this fact is not excluded))). It seems to me that the development of events doesn't differ much from one film to another. Still I can "excuse" myself admitting my passionate love for "Scary Movie". It's a masterpiece, really) And I guess it comprises the typical features of all such like films.

LuckDate: Friday, 27.05.2011, 00:01 | Message # 54
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
well I don't think that the cartoon was so great))But you are right, the horse was very funny)) I have a question: can anyone advise me a really funny cartoon to watch? And by the way, it's possible to watch a cartoon about that famous panda in the cinema now, so has anybody watched it? Is it worth watching?

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 27.05.2011, 19:25 | Message # 55
Dean
YEAHHHH!!!! I've just come home from the cinema!!! Kung Fu Panda 2 is gorgeous!! If you're looking for an amusing, kind and instructive (in a good sense of the word!) cartoon, it's the "direct hit"! I'm in raptures!!!!! You know, it's classics...wonderful graphics, no ornateness, clear moral,funny jokes (they are not vulgar and it's a miracle)))), action combined with emotions and good voicing! Some scenes are especially beautiful and touching! Besides, there were a lot of children in the hall and judging by their reaction I can say that they share my impression))) Everything is exquisite, even the main evildoer (my friend was so charmed by him that wanted him to win))) Oh, and another thing, I liked a broad hint at the continuation...)

2YoungDate: Saturday, 28.05.2011, 03:32 | Message # 56
Monitor
Quote (lovefootball))
And what about the other parts? Are they worse?

They are not worse. There are 7 "Saw"s, so the storyline is the most complicated and the most interesting I've ever seen. But why did I tell you only about the 1st part? The answer is clear. Unfortunatelly the movies were corrupted and spoiled a lil bit for money, to make people watch it not only for storyline, sence, etc, but for flesh and blood. There was only one main trap (actually there were more, but all the film was based on one main trap) in the 1st film, so it was shown how people get in panic and what they are ready to do to get free. There were shown different sins...yeah. So, by the end of the movie heroes became "darling" to you.

8davids8Date: Sunday, 29.05.2011, 22:49 | Message # 57
Union organizer
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
It'd better - what do you think about the latest Cannes FF, and the press-conference with L. von Trier about his recent "Melancholia" ???

RinaDate: Monday, 30.05.2011, 02:11 | Message # 58
Union committee president
Awards: 4
Quote (8davids8)
the press-conference with L. von Trier about his recent "Melancholia" ???

you mean his words or public reaction to them? btw, I tend to believe that it was just a kind of mockery or extravagant joke. But as far as he has mentioned quite a thorny subject, his words were regarded as something antisocial, offencive and bla-bla-bla... and calling him "persona non grata" was a nice attempt to draw audience's attention to this conference and the very director. (Hmm.. may be he's done that on purpose - as a kind of scandal self-promotion?) confused
as for "Melancholia"... Have you watched it already? Is it worth watching? (The trailer seemed to be intriguing and the fact that Kirsten Dunst has won Actress Prize also deserves attention)

LuckDate: Tuesday, 31.05.2011, 21:41 | Message # 59
Union organizer
Awards: 5
Rina, could you tell me in brief what "Malancholia" is about because I could not manage to download the trailer? I know that you prefer very "unusual" and nonstandart movies so I expect this one to be of the same kind. Am I right?

RinaDate: Wednesday, 01.06.2011, 01:18 | Message # 60
Union committee president
Awards: 4
To be honest, I have no idea what the movie is about biggrin According to the trailer, it deals with the consummation of the world caused by earth's collision with another planet. The title of the movie reveals the main heroine's attitude to the catastrophy she witnesses. That's all I can tell you now... I was going to watch it soon and if I manage to do it, I'll tell you more))) But I doubt that this is a "nonstandart" movie I usually watch as you've mentioned biggrin I suppose, it is a movie that won't make you sick as opposed to those I watch now biggrin

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Cinema and Movies » Any Movie News? (Watch, comment, advise, share)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024