THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Tuesday, 07.05.2024, 23:41
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Literature » Advantages of reading as a hobby
Advantages of reading as a hobby
lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 23.10.2010, 21:34 | Message # 16
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
To tell the truth, I've never thought of books as of the reflection of our emotions. But the books in different languages! Wow! I admire Asya's memory. One should be patient,sensitive and intelligent to perceive such literature in a proper way.

AsyaDate: Sunday, 24.10.2010, 23:24 | Message # 17
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Quote (Rina)
During the whole week your mood changes and so your desire to read smth changes too.

Yes!!!!!!!! That's the truthfullest truth!!! biggrin It's just impossible to read the book you don't want to read. I fall asleep in such a case. But when the book corresponds to my mood, I don't even notice for how long I've been reading. Sometimes I begin reading at about 10-11 o'clock in the evening and the next time I look at the clock is 4 or 5 in the morning.
Quote (Rina)
you suddenly remember that you've got three chapters of Bleak House to be read!

Oh, my God!!! I've completely forgotten about it!!! this time it's not 3 chapters. More... Why do I always postpone things?!
Quote (Nadya)
I think it's not very good to read several books at the same time. When you do it, it's easy to confuse the storylines.

That's impossible. Vice versa. When reading several books at one period of time you feel the book's mood much better. I think you even gain better understanding of the author's message.
Quote (lovefootball))
But the books in different languages!

Yes, that's wonderful experience! Actually I've been studying French only to be able to read in the original. And now, being able to do it, I feel so elevated, so... so... I'm definitely the happiest person on the whole planet! Just wonderful! To feel the Language, to "touch" it!

8davids8Date: Thursday, 28.10.2010, 11:44 | Message # 18
Union organizer
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Quote (Asya)
During the whole week your mood changes and so your desire to read smth changes too.

Absolutely so. I remember my depression times - this how I read Hemingway's Moveable Feast and Fiesta. Just my mood kept the same way for a coupla weeks...

AyayuliaDate: Thursday, 28.10.2010, 16:25 | Message # 19
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 2
I can read 2 books at once but they must have different subject or if they are not deep at all.

RinaDate: Friday, 29.10.2010, 02:25 | Message # 20
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
Quote (Nadya)
I think it's not very good to read several books at the same time. When you do it, it's easy to confuse the storylines. Then it will be a total mess in your head.

No-no. You know, for me it's like opening the drawers – you always know what you are going to find there, you'll never mix the stuff from one drawer with the stuff from another one. When I open a book, I dive into it. When I open another one, I dive into it too. They are so different there, in their depth – like a river and an ocean. But if I ever find out that I mix up the plots it will only mention that I didn't dive and was only floating – you know, water surface is always the same...

NadyaDate: Friday, 29.10.2010, 19:41 | Message # 21
Awards: 0
Maybe I'm wrong. And I think it's really good that you don't mix the stories, so I just admire you)))

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 29.10.2010, 22:11 | Message # 22
Dean
By the way, do you think there exists any limit? I mean the amount of books one can read in parallel. Or everything boils down to one's mood?

NadyaDate: Wednesday, 24.11.2010, 18:29 | Message # 23
I just think that it's rather hard to read several books at the same time. For me, it's better to read a book and as Rina has already said to dive into it. So I read different literature about this book, the history of it etc. I find it interesting)

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 24.11.2010, 22:41 | Message # 24
Dean
Wow, such thorough analysis! It is just amusing or it really helps you? I mean does this supplementary literature elevate you mind and help you understand the author's message? I guess it can sometimes charge our memory with trifles.

NadyaDate: Thursday, 25.11.2010, 19:52 | Message # 25
To tell the truth, I like to do it if a book is very interesting for me (of course I don't dive into every book). And yes, this supplementary literature help me to understand a book, to know more about it. Don't you do this occasionally?

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 25.11.2010, 20:31 | Message # 26
Dean
To tell the truth, some time ago all these "forewords" to books irritated and just bored me. But now things are different, I understand that books require more careful treatment and more attention to details. The point is that if one wants to get the author's message and to grasp the essence, his/her analysis should be thorough, so, I agree with you.

AsyaDate: Friday, 26.11.2010, 05:32 | Message # 27
Awards: 6
I think that criticism on the book should be read much later than the book itself. There is one important reason for that. When we read a book we acquire a certain opinion on it. We get certain associations, have our own ideas of the main idea and the author's message. And literature about literature can spoil everything. First of all, it usually presents a more profound, but still a subjective opinion on the piece of literature. And secondly, if you consider it to be true, you may mistakenly begin to believe that it's your view, forgetting your real one. That's why I believe that reading additional information about a book is useful only when your perception of it is already quite definite and you are not searching for some answers you should have come up yourself to.

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 30.08.2011, 16:01 | Message # 28
I think I can't totally agree with you...There are a lot of books that difficult to perceive for the first time. And I can give you one example. "Master and Margarita" by M. Bulgakov. It is a novel which has a very profound idea. The author touches upon and interweaves so many themes in his book like love, religion, good and evil, life of people in the 20th century and so on. And, to tell the truth, it would be quite difficult for me to understand all the refinements and details, if I hadn't read some information about the book before reading. More than that, when I read it, I understood and penetrated into the novel and eventually I just fell in love with it. So, as you see, sometimes such information can really help us a lot.

Suigintou_RozenDate: Sunday, 04.09.2011, 11:14 | Message # 29
Course monitor
In my opinion,nowadays more and more children prefer computer games than reading books.It is sad,because reading gives us a lot of advantages.
Reading improves a person’s knowledge about various fields of life.It helps a person to make correct decisions in different situations of life.Reading helps our mind to be strong.Books teaches us to be merciful,kind,compassionate,generous and loving.Reading develops imagination.

NadyaDate: Monday, 05.09.2011, 18:46 | Message # 30
You are absolutely right about the importance of books. You've also noted that nowadays a lot of children prefer computer games or television to reading. So, why do you think that happens? Why children do not want to develop themselves through books? Of course, it's everyone's choice (by the way, not the best one) but can we change that? And how?

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Literature » Advantages of reading as a hobby
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024