THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Tuesday, 07.05.2024, 04:33
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Literature » Advantages of reading as a hobby
Advantages of reading as a hobby
AsyaDate: Thursday, 11.06.2009, 17:51 | Message # 1
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
I believe that reading is one of the most important and beneficial hobbies a person can choose.
Reading can be a wonderful escape from the routine, an adventure and a learning experience. It provides an opportunity for quiet, peaceful time alone and is the perfect way to relax after a busy day and the various pressures of the real world. It is an activity that can be enjoyed anytime and anywhere. It is also a fantastic way to keep the mind sharp and to continually absorb knowledge. Be it fiction or non-fiction, when we read we cannot help but learn and gain insight into ourselves.
Do you like to read? What kind of literature do you prefer? Can you say reading is your hobby???

Message edited by Assa - Thursday, 11.06.2009, 17:54

LuckDate: Thursday, 11.06.2009, 19:57 | Message # 2
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
Certainly I like reading. Actually I can't say that I prefer something ecpesial: I can read detective stories, novels, scientific literature and other books. But I can say for sure that reading really helps me to relax, to forget about my problems and enjoy the moment (of reading, I mean)))

RinaDate: Thursday, 11.06.2009, 20:38 | Message # 3
Awards: 4
Well, u know I'm quite crazy about reading))) staying home alone with a cup of coffee and an interesting book is the perfect relaxation))) it would be a real fairy tale if it were a thunderstorm outside the window)))))
about the books I usually read... well, sometimes I find some interesting books to read on the shelves in my or my granny's flat (my dad adores reading and there are more than 2000 books))) sometimes I decide to buy smth I've heard about... The genre.. I tend to prefer modern literature - Chuck Palahniuk, Haruki Murakami, Paulo Coelho, Banana Yosimoto, etc...etc...etc...
yep... I do like reading))) It gives u a chance to escape from reality... and to enjoy all the imaginative worlds u are reading 'bout)))

Message edited by Rina - Thursday, 11.06.2009, 20:39

AsyaDate: Friday, 12.06.2009, 06:23 | Message # 4
Banana Yoshimoto (dunno why, but it's spelled in this way) is one of my favourite writers, too (you know it but still biggrin ). And now I'm reading her novel "Lizard". It's much more interesting than philosophy)))

Message edited by Assa - Saturday, 13.06.2009, 01:02

RinaDate: Saturday, 13.06.2009, 00:49 | Message # 5
Banana Yoshimoto - I'll remember )))
Quote (Assa)
It's much more interesting than philosophy)))

biggrin biggrin biggrin
thorny subject....

AsyaDate: Wednesday, 01.07.2009, 01:20 | Message # 6
We've passed philosophy!!!!!!!!!!! Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! vacations are the best time of the year!!!!!!! holiday holiday holiday holiday holiday

NadyaDate: Sunday, 10.10.2010, 20:04 | Message # 7
Awards: 0
I like reading. If I had more free time, I would read more often. My favourite kinds of books are adventure stories and, of course, classical books. Works by Lermontov and Obruchev help me to feel better and to take my bad mood away. If we read more, it would improve our features.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 11.10.2010, 17:53 | Message # 8
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
It's not enough just to read the book. One should discuss it with others, listen to different opinions, find arguments... If you want to understand the author's message, the analysis should be very deep.

AsyaDate: Tuesday, 12.10.2010, 11:08 | Message # 9
lovefootball), completely agree with you. It's really very important to share the impressions, to discuss and to draw some conclusions together. I must admit I'm very lucky because some of my friends enjoy reading and we discuss literature quite often. Rina, for example. She says that Banana Yoshimoto is one of her favourite authors. But it was me who gave her the first book to read. And Rina gave me the book of Anna Gavalda in her turn. Now I've read all Gavalda's novels and must admit she's one of my favourite writers. So, sharing the impressions is a necessary thing, you see? Not only does it bring us pleasure, but it also broadens our horizons. biggrin

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 12.10.2010, 18:17 | Message # 10
Dean
Sure, it's one of the most important parts of communicaton.

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 16.10.2010, 09:58 | Message # 11
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
So many books to read! So many things to discuss! I wish I had ten lives.

AsyaDate: Thursday, 21.10.2010, 23:06 | Message # 12
Me, too. I'm reading 4 books now and sometimes I think that's too much for me. But all of them are SO interesting that I can't sacrifice any! (can't choose the language actually)

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 22.10.2010, 21:10 | Message # 13
Dean
Is it efficient to read so many books in parallel? Or they have the same subject?

RinaDate: Friday, 22.10.2010, 23:12 | Message # 14
Yes, it is possible and very convenient to read some books (2,3 or 4) at the same time. As far as I know all these books Asya reads are absolutely different (German, English, Russian if I'm not mistaken?). The same is about me. During the whole week your mood changes and so your desire to read smth changes too. Just imagine – today you're so tired and worn out, you want to rest a little bit and you open a nice fairy-tale book. The next day you are a little bit philosophical and want to think over certain issues. Then you open some serious may be even complicated books. And the day after tomorrow you suddenly remember that you've got three chapters of Bleak House to be read! So, reading several books at the same time you have a possibility to choose)))

NadyaDate: Saturday, 23.10.2010, 15:24 | Message # 15
Awards: 0
I think it's not very good to read several books at the same time. When you do it, it's easy to confuse the storylines. Then it will be a total mess in your head. I prefer to read one book, because I can feel all emotions of this story. Is it really so interesting to read different books at the same time?

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Literature » Advantages of reading as a hobby
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024