THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Tuesday, 07.05.2024, 21:13
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Literature » Advantages of reading as a hobby
Advantages of reading as a hobby
lovefootball)Date: Monday, 05.09.2011, 20:20 | Message # 31
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Everyone decides in favour of his own comfort and it's one of the most natural things in the world) If we take into account that it's often extremely hard even for adults to collect themselves and arrange priorities in all fairness (and not selfishly!), so it's almost pointless to demand the same from children and especially teenagers. After all, there's nothing terrible in TV or computer. These devices were made to help us, entertain and teach, so why not to use them for their intended purpose?) As for addiction...well, it's a well-known fact that it's like an ailment and besides the psychological reasons for it are also twice-told.

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 13.09.2011, 19:48 | Message # 32
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 3
To my mind, any person who's so keen on computer games or TV shows just has a different type of mentality. It's no use making him/her read books and enjoy them. A character defines the lifestyle. However, that's a general rule and there can be exceptions.

I love reading. This is probably the simplest and the most effective way to express my attitude. There exist no bad books - every book has its reader. Some books shed depression but still I love them. Some books are incomprehensible for me but still I love them.
And what about you? Do you have a book that you will never read again? never advise anyone to read? a book that you don't understand at all?

AsyaDate: Sunday, 02.10.2011, 21:28 | Message # 33
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Quote (MissJane)
To my mind, any person who's so keen on computer games or TV shows just has a different type of mentality.

I've also come to this conclusion. There are people who like apples and the ones who adore bananas. Some of us consider summer to be the best season and others hate hot weather. There are the ones who like to read and the ones who are keen on computer games. Just the same.

Quote (MissJane)
Do you have a book that you will never read again?

At first I wanted to write, "Of course!.." But then I stopped. The word "never" made me do that. Life is so unpredictable that I can't say anything for sure. That's why I'll state it like that. In the nearest future I will never read any book by Dontsova. I tried to read one when I was 15 and up to the present day I'm not eager to make such an attempt again.
Now I think that in the nearest future I won't read "Volkodav" either. I can't say that I don't understand it at all. But I don't get pleasure reading it. Nevertheless I know that this book is quite popular. Maybe, someone among the participants of the forum has read it... If so, please, write about your attitude to it.

mrsbukaleDate: Friday, 06.04.2012, 13:39 | Message # 34
Monitor
Awards: 0
Books are our friends. Reading them we get experience which we should try to use in our everyday life. Books give us quotations which can change our opinion on the subject of life. Having read the book we have millions of emotions which are not only positive. After the book we take another one which causes other emotions and we compare these books, creating our impression and getting new understanding of things, struggling with our inner conflicts and our outlook.

Message edited by mrsbukale - Friday, 06.04.2012, 15:32

AmarantaDate: Tuesday, 10.04.2012, 17:30 | Message # 35
Monitor
As for me, I like reading. I can`t say it`s my hobby because I do it rather seldom. Frankly speaking, I waste my time every day. I`m lazy, I prefer lolling about. I very often spend my spare time stareing at TV or the computer. But sometimes I want something special. They are books. Reading them, I relax and become more intelligent. It`s a kind of self-esteem.

LeoDate: Wednesday, 11.04.2012, 00:30 | Message # 36
Monitor
One thing is quite clear here - it is precious that books exist. No doubt that reading is people's needs. Sometimes we do not get so much emotions as we really want, so in this case reading is a great opportunity to feel surprised, to cry, to smile, to sorrow and so on. As for me, I would like to have much more time just to read a book.....

VasilisaDate: Wednesday, 11.04.2012, 23:31 | Message # 37
Monitor
To my mind reading isn't a hobby. It is like breathing. I don't think that breathing can be called a hobby. It's a primal necessity. Without it a person will die. Reading is also a necessity. A spiritual necessity. Without it a person will live, but how? Books develop our mind, make us feel and think, express emotions, perfect us.
I can't imagine life without books.

Message edited by Vasilisa - Wednesday, 11.04.2012, 23:31

mrsbukaleDate: Friday, 04.05.2012, 12:18 | Message # 38
Monitor
Reading penetrates all spheres of our life. If we say a word "read" we imagine a book. But reading means not only reading of books. We can read magazines, newspapers, articles, advertisement etc. Reading increases our outlook makes us wiser, makes our life more interesting and it makes tempo of our life.

Added (04.05.2012, 12:18)
---------------------------------------------
I read William Shakespeare when I was at school. I like reading not only because it develops me or improves my speech, but just because it`s an experience of life of those poets and writers who wrote these books. As I have said about W.S. I would like to say that his masterpieces must be read by everyone because with the pass of time we start to understand everything another way and now grandeur of his work delights me more and more.

Nikky0638Date: Monday, 21.05.2012, 11:49 | Message # 39
Monitor
Reading is absolutely necessary thing in our life. It's a great occupation for self-improvement. it makes any person literate. Reading a book we are expanding our outlook. In addition, it develops an ability to feel beautiful,because only a book and the author's talent are able to immerse you into amazing atmosphere of a magical circle of interesting stories.

IrinaDate: Sunday, 27.05.2012, 16:22 | Message # 40
Monitor
Reading is a habit which helps a lot in life. This practice of reading has taken a back seat with the development of televisions and the internet. Children in the present times are all the time hooked to T.V.sets and the computers. Parents should make an effort of introducing their children to the world of books. This should be started from a very young age. In fact children are able to understand even if they are not able to speak. You should start showing them picture books on animals, flowers and fruits. I can not imagine my life without reading. but unfortunately, I do not have a lot of free time and I can't read books, which I'd like to read.

Snusmumrick9849Date: Monday, 28.05.2012, 10:09 | Message # 41
Student
As for me, I can't imagine my life without books. I absolutely agree with Vasilisa that reading is like breathing. I try to read books in every free moment. There are a lot of books which I want to read. And I hope I'll do it

ZensaDate: Tuesday, 04.09.2012, 17:47 | Message # 42
Monitor
Nowadays it's almost impossible to imagine our life without books. Some people read for instruction and some from a habit, and only a few read for pleasure. I belong to that group of people. Reading is like a drug for me and i can't get along without it.

IrinaDate: Sunday, 23.09.2012, 23:48 | Message # 43
Monitor
when you learn english you schould read english books.
When you read books by great authors, it's very likely you'll come across words you've never seen before. This doesn't mean you should feel stupid but that you should take pleasure in this opportunity to deepen your vocabulary. Always have a dictionary nearby while you read. The more you read, the more you'll develop your own vocabulary.
Be sure you're changing your reading selections from time to time. If you read only sports books, you will miss out on a lot of vocabulary that you could be finding in historical biographies or classic literature.

AsyaDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 01:32 | Message # 44
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
I think reading should be more fun, shouldn't it? I believe that one chooses books relying on his/her taste, not on the vocabulary he/she wants to learn... This seems to be more like studying...

PerilovaDate: Monday, 24.09.2012, 19:40 | Message # 45
Head teacher
Group: Reliable
I think reading is the way of self-developement.I enjoy books because it developes my mind.My favourite book is Remark "Three comrades".I would like to read "Jane Eyre" in the English version.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Literature » Advantages of reading as a hobby
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024