THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Wednesday, 24.04.2024, 02:43
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Megastarosta  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Pets in our Life » Animal Rights (Discussions about animal rights in the human world)
Animal Rights
Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 10.11.2010, 09:19 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
I have always wondered if people should ever feel concerned about the point - Animal Rights! I don't know whether I have an opinion or an attitude. Why do people fight for animal rights? Isn't there anything else to fight for? Are there really such cases and facts that show a violation of animal rights? Do animals care at all? Is it because we want animals to be part of our world and let them in under certain conditions? Or is it because we are the most powerful primates who have shaped the wild world to their own needs? Have animals developed new instincts for protection against man's violence? Can animals revenge if their rights are violated? Can animals protect their rights themselves? Well, so many questions ...Are there any answers?

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 10.11.2010, 22:02 | Message # 2
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
I think people just want to extend their power and cover a wide range of issues. We like to be masters. Of course, many of us are absolutely sincere but it's not improbable that there is superiority feeling in all this.

8davids8Date: Wednesday, 10.11.2010, 23:50 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Group: Admins
Humanness is a quality that makes us humans whatever obvious it may sound. People very often mistreat animals and some even jeer at them. It seems that such an intent attention to animal rights is caused by a great desire to pay off for all our sins towards them. We definitely understand that animals also feel pain and sometimes behave like human. Some make allusions to human beings. Thus, we believe that animals have rights as well. But here we should deep into the nature of a right. Who gives it and who receives it? Why only higher organisms should have them? Is our mind the source of rights appearance?

MegastarostaDate: Thursday, 11.11.2010, 21:52 | Message # 4
Union organizer
Group: Friends
I think everybody remembers that fact that Irene has told us about tests on animals. I advise you to watch videos about it and then I will ask you: " Will you ever use cosmetics or other things that were tested on animals?" As for me, after watching those videos i through some of my cosmetics that were tested on animals and i'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian. What do you think about it?

NekavaenDate: Friday, 12.11.2010, 20:44 | Message # 5
Head teacher
Awards: 1
You know, not everyone who wants it can become a vegetarian. In some cases this enthusiasm can result in serious health problems. People have been eating meat for thousands of years and that's why we need it vitally. But if a doctor says "yes", you may do it.
Speaking about tests, we shouldn't forget that not only cosmetics but also medicine and many other things we can't survive without are tested on mice, cats and so on. We can avoid buying lipstick or foundation but if you are seriously ill will you be conserned about were the pills you are supposed to take tested on animals or not? (Of course the situation is changing fast and more and more companies try to avoid cruelty and find new ways of testing their products or just pretend they are eager to improve the situation.)
I also saw terrible films about hunting, about awful conditions birds and mammals have to live in at big factories, about biological and psychological experiments. I was impressed, I was frightened, I was confused and shocked, I was ready to cry...But then I just looked around and saw that people around me can't stop killing each other...I think we should begin with ourselves and start treating PEOPLE properly.
As for animals and their rights, we shouldn't forget that we have certain intellectual and technological superiority but when it comes to comparing natural strength, adroitness, survivability and specific abilities such as night vision or water breathing we lose. Yes, we dominate on this planet but it doesn't mean we have a right to do whatever we wan't.
Something should be done to bring harmony to relationships between people and animals but again I don't believe that all animals will be treated with respect and care until people learn to respect the rights of other humans.
All we can do now (in our country!) is to help homeless animals a little by giving them some food, taking part in special marches, talk to children who scoff at dogs and cats... What else?

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

NadyaDate: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 15:09 | Message # 6
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
Animals have their own rights too. And yes, we should protect them against man's violence because most of the time they can't protect themselves. For example, there are a lot of old kinds of animals.And they are in danger. So animals are very important creatures on our planet.

LuckDate: Friday, 19.11.2010, 22:42 | Message # 7
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
Yes, animals have their own rights. As for extinct animals, I don't think that I myself can help them somehow, and I'm sure that the organizations that always struggle for "peace and harmony" will find a way, or at least they'll try to preserve all the penguins and ostriches. I can talk only about pets: and I'm sure they should be treated as family members, you should walk them, feed them, play with them. They are our friends, so it would be great if everybody learnt to take care of them.

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 20.11.2010, 19:04 | Message # 8
Dean
You've mentioned vegetarianism...It's a vexed question. I've thought it over a hundred times and I should admit that I can't refrain from meat. Maybe, we shouldn't put the question like that.Our life is not just black or white. More than that, I'm sure that almost all people who eat meat like animals very much! The same is true about medicine. We can argue as much as we wish but if one's relative or friend needs such medicine, I guess he/she won't hesitate.

NikkyDate: Saturday, 20.11.2010, 21:18 | Message # 9
Course monitor
Quote (Luck)
I can talk only about pets: and I'm sure they should be treated as family members, you should walk them, feed them, play with them. They are our friends, so it would be great if everybody learnt to take care of them.

Yes. I think It's really important to LEARN to take care of them. And it's also very important to respect pets. They are little creatures. And they have their own thoughts, opinions. They can't tell us. But it doesn't mean that they haven't got them.

NekavaenDate: Sunday, 21.11.2010, 00:03 | Message # 10
Head teacher
You are right, Nikky. But in fact, many people don't even care about what other HUMANS feel and think...

NikkyDate: Monday, 22.11.2010, 21:16 | Message # 11
Course monitor
Quote (Nekavaen)
But in fact, many people don't even care about what other HUMANS feel and think...

Yes. And if they don't care about humans feelings, how can we speak about animals feelings?
Sometimes people think that animals are just little toys. They just play with them and then forget about their existence.

NekavaenDate: Monday, 22.11.2010, 23:27 | Message # 12
Head teacher
Yes, it's always sad when people want to have pets but are not ready to take care of living creatures who have their own characters, can fall ill, regard care and attention. The last thing is very important. Many pet owners forget about their cats and dogs but when it results into spoilt furniture, eaten shoes, etc (many pets do it on purpose because they are totally bored and lonely!) people are sure animals are the only ones to blame.

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 30.11.2010, 19:48 | Message # 13
Union committee president
Group: Moders
It's very important to rear, "educate" your own pet. They are just like children. And if you want to have a good, friendly and devoted friend, you have to take care of him, to take on the responsibility.

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 03.12.2010, 19:33 | Message # 14
Dean
Like children... maybe. But that means that they should be punished sometimes, do you agree? And what is the most appropriate punishment? Or should we wink at their faults?

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 09.12.2010, 00:13 | Message # 15
Head teacher
Well, I'm against punishment. I believe that both a child and a animal can be brought up well without it. For example, I've never been punished, NEVER! And I don't think that it has influenced my intellectual and moral development in a wrong way. Yes, I was often scolded in the childhood but never punished!
I never hurt my pet inside or out. When I think that something's wrong with his behavior, I try to show him how he should or shouldn't do this or that. Switching over to another form of activity is also very effective. For example, when my guinea pig starts eating my English plans or notebooks, I give him some grapes and he starts eating them instead. Grapes are tastier than paper, aren't they? biggrin
Even if our pet's conduct is unbearable, we should first find the reason for his or her aggression and disobedience and try to remove it smoothly. Of course, for many people it's much easier to beat their pets instead of trying to help them to become better in a proper way.
Of course, punishments can be different and not all of them are so cruel. But I think it's just not fair to suppress the will of a creature that is weaker and smaller than you.

Message edited by Nekavaen - Thursday, 09.12.2010, 00:18

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Pets in our Life » Animal Rights (Discussions about animal rights in the human world)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024