THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Friday, 03.05.2024, 22:44
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: Megastarosta  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Pets in our Life » Pet addiction (Living for the sake of pets)
Pet addiction
Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 09:27 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Some people can't imagine their life without pets. They are really pet-addicts. They can be in huge numbers and often do harm to nextdoor neighbours. There was a case some time ago.
An old man of about 75 got through a large amount of money every week and his daughter couldn't understand what he was spending it on. It turned out later that he was buying a large amount of cat food for a lot of humgry homeless cats in the neighbourhood. He simply couldn't put up with their condtion and he spent all his pension money to feed them all. His daughter tried to talk him out of the habit, get one or two cats home, but he persisted doing the same ritual every day.
Well, what is it? Illness? Psychic Disorder? Social Discontent? Human Disability? These can be homeless dogs, brids, mice...

NekavaenDate: Wednesday, 17.11.2010, 00:20 | Message # 2
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Of course, the behaviour of this man may seem strange from the first sight. And strange it is, strange and unusual but not stupid and not funny. Yes he shouldn't have spent all his pension money on homeless cats but maybe he just really wanted to help and was tired of total injustice that can be seen everywhere on the streets of big sities. And it's better to feed homeless cats than to torture them. And it's better to spend money on cat food than on beer and cigarettes, for example.
I know some old people who get large pensions (yes, I think that 13000 rubles a month is quite enough; most Russian pensioners get far less) and can afford buying tasty food, new clothes and even help their relatives a little but they deny themselves and hide most of the sum somewhere, then forget where they have put it. As a result nobody uses it. So, maybe it's better to spend money on something noble?
But at the same time I'm against pet addiction if it turns into a serious mental disorder, ruins relationships between people and makes humans misanthropes. For example, I know a woman who is divorced and lives in a small flat with two little children and two huge dogs.
There is only one bed in the flat - the woman sleeps on it together with the pets. Children sleep on old torn blankets on the floor. Dogs get meat, vegetables, fresh water, vitamines every day and their mistress worries about their health and mood. And the children can only dream of fruits, milk products, sweets because they eat only bread and macaroni. Luckily, the woman likes guests and often invites somebody in the evening. All her friends always bring something for the kids (some homemade food, cakes or yoghurts) though the woman thinks everything is all right and there is no need in giving anything to them.
Dogs can do whatever they want but if a child breaks a cup, he will be seriously and cruelly punished.
I don't know why the children haven't been taken away yet but this form of pet addiction is really dangerous and needs serious treatment.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

TanyaDate: Thursday, 18.11.2010, 00:08 | Message # 3
Course monitor
Group: Friends
Awards: 2
I think it is really good to take care of animals, to buy food for homless cats and dogs but within limits! A little while ago I read in a newspaper about one old strange lady. She has about 130 cats in a small flat in Moscow. The flat’s owner says that she loves homeless pets and simply wants to help them. But it was pleasant to understand that in the photo all cats looked really healthy and happy, the flat was clean, and I suppose that the smell in the flat wasn't very bad. Maybe, it is a kind of illness or psychic disorder but she is doing a fantastic job and this lady is really a cat-lover. I think she has a great heart to pay attention to all those cats. She is a respectable woman!

CherryDate: Thursday, 18.11.2010, 19:42 | Message # 4
Monitor
Awards: 0
if you have means, why not to do smth useful for these creatures. of course, sometimes it seems mad, but everybody goes mad in his own way. it isn`t a catastrophe. i know two women: the first one feeds cats and dogs which she sees in the streets everyday, the second one has 26 cats in her flat. her neibours are very angry, because they can`t stay at home because of odour.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 18.11.2010, 20:55 | Message # 5
Dean
Awards: 3
I think it's just a way to make up for something lost and missed. In most cases such "mad pet owners" are disappointed and abandoned people who have a fund of unspent emotions.Maybe they tried to change something but failed.

RinaDate: Friday, 19.11.2010, 11:19 | Message # 6
Union committee president
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
Many years age I came across one situation I still remember quite well. A good-looking lady was feeding street cats and dogs near my house. Every day. She went to the grocery, bought sausages and fed these cats and dogs wandering along the streets. Once a very old neighbour of mine said to this lady that it would be much better if she gave these food to poor people. And you know what this animal-lover answered? “People? What for, I wonder? They can always take care of themselves. But who except for me takes care of these little creatures?” Actually, I admired that woman – every day she was fulfilling her mission, everyday she was feeding these shabby cats and dogs. She had a family, a lovely small daughter, but notwithstanding this fact animals were her obsession. When I think about this lady, I realise that she was right – people are responsible for all the creatures around them, even if they are not their pets.

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 19.11.2010, 19:12 | Message # 7
Dean
Of course, she deserves respect and admiration but still... I can't imagine that a woman, who is always busy at work, has children (who require attention, care, checking their homework and so on) and a husband (who requires tasty dinner and a clean flat) can, so to say, cook food not only for her family but for stray cats and dogs. It doesn't mean I'm against the idea, of course, not! I just doubt if it is always possible.

МарусяDate: Thursday, 13.01.2011, 17:08 | Message # 8
Monitor
Each of us has possibilities ...

But not each of us have wishes to help homeless pets.

I feed all homeless dogs near my house.

It is not difficult for me.

Message edited by Маруся - Monday, 17.01.2011, 15:10

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 14.01.2011, 12:18 | Message # 9
Dean
That's another matter. You feed them. But what about people who dedicate their life to stray cats and dogs? Such people often withdraw into themselves, forget about everything and lose a sense of reality.

МарусяDate: Monday, 17.01.2011, 15:24 | Message # 10
Monitor
I think that it is better than murder and abuse.

Everyone has a choice how to live and what to do.

Message edited by Маруся - Monday, 17.01.2011, 16:29

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 17.01.2011, 15:37 | Message # 11
Dean
Of course, a lot of things are better than murder but it's just another extreme. I guess it's a form of disease that requires psychological help and treatment.

Suigintou_RozenDate: Wednesday, 12.10.2011, 14:22 | Message # 12
Course monitor
I don't think it is bad.These people love animals more than any other.Generally,they are lonely people who wants to be useful.I think they find friends in the same abandoned animals.It is their escape from the hardships and loneliness and a little happiness.Many people can't get along with others, so it is easier to animals.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 13.10.2011, 20:47 | Message # 13
Dean
What if it's just another kind of drugs? Some of us escape reality by means of tearful music, tons of sweets, travelling or hurling ourselves into work and others (why not!) through taking care of animals or something of the kind. Maybe it's one of the ways to fight depression... Anyway this passion is much better than attempts to commit suicide or vain threats!

NadyaDate: Friday, 14.10.2011, 19:50 | Message # 14
Union committee president
Group: Moders
I think there's nothing awful and terrible in feeding homeless pets. Another thing is that we shouldn't feed every homeless pet on the way home, for example. In my opinion, there should be special places for such animals or else they can get used to "this feeding", after a while, a dog, for example, will be waiting for you next time and if it doesn't get any food, it will probably be more agressive and will be able even to bite someone. But, talking about the people who dedicate their life to animals. Well, I suppose it's not so bad. They do a useful thing, at least. Nevertheless, in my opinion, we shouldn't totally dedicate our life to animals as we are social creatures.

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 14.10.2011, 20:48 | Message # 15
Dean
That's it! We touched upon this subject yesterday at our English lesson and my groupmate told us a story about her coach. She is a woman of 45, rather independent and as the saying runs self-made. The point is that she isn't saddled with a family and dedicates herself fully to sports and animals (which is not bad I should say because everyone has his/her own perception of happiness and proper lifestyle). So these are her two main passions but still she begins to think of getting married.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Pets in our Life » Pet addiction (Living for the sake of pets)
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024