THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Thursday, 25.04.2024, 03:14
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 7
  • »
Forum moderator: Asya  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Flowers » Flowers for what (Talks about why people are so keen on flowers)
Flowers for what
Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 09:44 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Why do we need flowers? When in a vase, they live a few days and you have to throw them away. When in a shop, they represent a chance for you to show love or respect to someone. When in the greenhouse, this is a huge capital. When in art, it is a whole world. We buy flowers, we sell them, we pick them, we throw them away, we use them to decorate or present to the young and old, to the newly weds and the dead, we see them on flowerbeds and in the graveyard, they are national symbols and poetic images. Are flowers really so necessary? What is your flower phylosophy?

NadyaDate: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 15:35 | Message # 2
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
Flowers are very necessary!)) First of all, they are very beautiful and most of them smellsso they help to make our mood better. And as you know, girls just adore flowers so every man buys them for us (for example, red roses)-it's like a tradition smile And what is your favourite flower?

ValeriyaDate: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 17:26 | Message # 3
Monitor
Group: Users
My favourite flower is an orchid. This flower grows for a long time that's why they are beautiful.

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 13.11.2010, 21:47 | Message # 4
Dean
Awards: 3
They're like a jolt of fresh air. We strive for being closer to nature even if we don't realize it and it becomes especially important in the city. Don't they delight the eye? Besides, they're usually associated with meadows, summer and beauty.

RinaDate: Sunday, 14.11.2010, 00:47 | Message # 5
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
Ha-ha, what a coincidence! Flower-theme again)
"IS IT OK WHEN A GIRL PRESENTS HER BOYFRIEND WITH FLOWERS?"- this question I was asked today by a young guy when I was standing with my friend on a bus station. Being too naïve to regard this question as a kind of “public opinion poll” we began to express our own ideas towards this subject... just till the moment when this guy asked me to give him my phone number. Thanx god, our bus arrived, so we had a chance to escape)) No matter how stupid the situation seemed, it made me and my friend discuss the question of “flower-presenting” during our way home (poor guy was left on the station without any number but with a full and definite answer to the question he had asked). Of course, we both agreed that the situation when a girl gives her boyfriend flowers is a little bit... ridiculous. Actually, I and my friend do not like the idea of “flower-gifting” at all. You know, I always warn my boyfriend - “NEVER buy me flowers, I hate it!” Why? Well, I do like flowers when they are growing and blooming, they are beautiful and their fragrance fills our life with happiness and joy, but let flowers remain in their flower-beds. What's the use of picking them? They'll wilt in two days! I do know that a great deal of girls will disagree with me, but I'm already satisfied, that my best friend shares my point of view, so, I don't want to argue with anybody)))
By the way, the role of flowers in our life is really great. During the centuries flowers were sent to transmit messages from people to people, one of the basic knowledges an honourable man should have acquired was so-called “flower-language”. It's a pity that this tradition turned out to be forgotten. I will never forget a face of one friend of mine when I asked him whether he knew that yellow carnations he had presented me with used to mean “You have disappointed me”. biggrin
So, I just want to ask you some questions – do you like it when smb gives you flowers? Do you think that “flower-language” should be learned? What flowers do you prefer? And, finally... is it ok, when a girl presents her boyfriend with flowers?

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 14.11.2010, 14:01 | Message # 6
Dean
Though I find the flower-language rather interesting, I think we should leave it behind just because we're guided by quite different motives choosing this or that flower. I mean preferences, fashion, a specidic occasion,decency. There are a lot of florists after all! But at the same time this "language" seems to me very nice.
As to men and flowers... Well, I think it's a private matter. Of course, the first date and a girl with a bunch of flowers for her boyfriend don't go together) But if people know each other quite well, why not? I've never presented flowers to my boyfriend but I often buy them for my father and it has even become a tradition in our family.

NekavaenDate: Sunday, 14.11.2010, 17:44 | Message # 7
Head teacher
Awards: 1
I always become sad when somebody presents me with a bouquet because I understand that the flowers in it are beautiful but already dead... I understand Rina's thoughts very well. I would also prefer to see flowers in flowerbeds. Or I will be glad to get an "alternative" gift. For example, a flower picture or an artificial flower made of metal, paper or just crocheted. It will be much more valuable for me because I will know it has been done with my friend's own hands and hasn't been just bought or picked somewhere.
Of course, flowers have played a very important role in the history of the whole mankind. People have been appreciating them for thousands of years not only as a source of beauty and inspiration but also as vivid symbols. I think it's better to have a certain conception of “flower-language” in your mind because sometimes we have to buy flowers for somebody and what if this person knows it or will try to read a certain message in your present? Of course, don't let's become paranoid about it! biggrin
And speaking about presenting men with flowers, I've heard it's becoming extremely popular both abroad and in our contry. More and more flower shops begin to offer special "masculine flower arragements". I see nothing strange, shameful and unacceptable in it... And if it has already become a family tradition, it's great!
flower

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

CherryDate: Thursday, 18.11.2010, 20:11 | Message # 8
Monitor
flowers........ they are magic...we know that they are a thing whicn easy to get. you go to the shop and bought it. we treat flowers with negligence. try to imagine our world without them. it's impossible.then the world will lose too much. i like flowers very much.... they are like pets for many people. of course there are some people who hwte flowers, but i will never understand them... and if the flowers disappear, men will be suffer much stronger than anybody biggrin ... men don't undestand how flowers help them. they help to tells their sweetheart about their love, to make excuses, to elate smb, to congratulete smb....

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 20.11.2010, 09:11 | Message # 9
Dean
Group: Admins
Curious to find out that flowers have their own 'language'. I usually thought of even or odd numbers for sad or good events. I usually choose flowers by how beautiful they are, never thinking of what their colours or shapes or variations or arrangments mean. Do you really read the flower language?
Quote (Rina)
And, finally... is it ok, when a girl presents her boyfriend with flowers?

Really, sounds strange to me if it is a sign of love or devotion. Though on other occasions flowers will do fine.

NadyaDate: Monday, 22.11.2010, 20:11 | Message # 10
Yes, I completely agree with you Teacher. It sounds strange for me too if it's a sign of love.

NekavaenDate: Monday, 22.11.2010, 23:38 | Message # 11
Head teacher
But what if a boy wants to present another boy with a flower? Do you think that if we are talking about a same-sex couple, a man can't be given a beautiful rose as a sign of devotion? You know, romantic relationships can be different...

P.S. I'm not joking!

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 23.11.2010, 19:39 | Message # 12
Hmm...frankly speaking I can't understand these same-sex couples...but they can give flowers to each other too..why not?

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 24.11.2010, 12:28 | Message # 13
Dean
I think we'd better not speak about them just because their logic is quite different from ours.
But still if a woman buys flowers for her boyfriend or husband, what should she choose? Are there any rules or recommendations? And should it be only one flower or a bunch? Packed or not?

NekavaenDate: Wednesday, 24.11.2010, 23:50 | Message # 14
Head teacher
I’ve visited a site devoted to flowers and there was a separate section about flowers for men. It’s written there that not so long ago The Society of American Florists carried out a special survey in order to understand men’s attitude to this problem. It turned out that over 60% of males would like to receive flowers on Valentine’s Day. And it also became obvious that men prefer roses, carnations, gerbera daisies and sunflowers.
I think it’s better to present a man with one big flower of a bright color (red, yellow, purple) packed in black paper. It’s vivid and strict at the same time.

AyayuliaDate: Saturday, 04.12.2010, 15:48 | Message # 15
Union organizer
Group: Friends
I don’t like flowers in a vase. They die after 3 years and it is very sad. When my boy friend wants to buy it for me, I say, “Stop! Think that you present me with something that is doomed to death” I prefer flowers in pots. They are growing, flowering and they really bring luck.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Flowers » Flowers for what (Talks about why people are so keen on flowers)
  • Page 1 of 7
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024