THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 04.05.2024, 13:11
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Asya  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Flowers » Flowers for what (Talks about why people are so keen on flowers)
Flowers for what
lovefootball)Date: Friday, 08.04.2011, 18:59 | Message # 31
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Wow, that's great! We're accustomed to regarding floristics only as some commercial matter. But it's art! Why not? Being a successful florist presupposes good knowledge of botanics, developed imagination, spatial thinking, a sense of colour and proportion, delicate taste, talent after all! Yes, that's definitely something non-trivial.

LuckDate: Tuesday, 12.04.2011, 12:13 | Message # 32
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 5
Ok, I have never thought about flowers as "something dead"... And I never say to a person who presents me with flowers "oh, poor flowers, you have just killed them!" This is..hmm..a bit strange. But I would like to speak about flowers as a present. My father always says that buying flowers means wasting your money, because they do not bring any benefit and you'll have to throw them away in a few days just because they will look like a broom. Well, to some extend I do agree with him because nowadays flowers are quite expensive and maybe sometimes it is better to spend the money for something that you really want to have. On the other hand, flowers are beautiful and you'll always be happy to get them.

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 12.04.2011, 19:26 | Message # 33
Dean
It's a question of taste and occasion. Giving flowers to a girl if it's your first date is a must and courtesy. But then you'll learn about this girl more and more and find out that she is, for instance, allergic to pollen but collects teddy-bears. Of course, you'll buy different toys to please her (if you are not careless or blind )))))). For me an ideal variant is a present and flowers that accompany it. It's even better to give flowers the day before the planned date just to create pleasant atmosphere.

LuckDate: Tuesday, 07.06.2011, 21:59 | Message # 34
Union organizer
I do not share your opinion. I do not think that if a guy comes to the first day without flowers that means that he is greedy or impolite or discourteous. And it is absolutely not a must to present a girl with flowers during the first date. Would you never want to talk to a guy again if he accidentally forgot that "it's a must to bring flowers"?

MissJaneDate: Sunday, 12.06.2011, 12:01 | Message # 35
Union organizer
Completely agree with you, Luck. I don't think it is necessary to present a girl with flowers at the first date. It seems for me it should be a must not to present her with anything when they see each other for the first time. Otherwise it looks like buying her attention. You'd better just talk to each other more, to learn about each other's preferences and views on life. A bunch of flowers may change your attitude to the person completely. I remember I was given red carnations (though it was not the first date) and I dislike these flowers and somewhat associate them with funerals and a graveyard, so I really felt awkward but tried to be honest and said politely that these are not my favourite flowers.
And I know many people who would never present a girl with a flower because it is the easiest way to show she is special. I tend to agree with such an opinion and am sure there is nothing more trivial to go to a shop and give a few hundreds of rubles for the fading beauty.

TanyaDate: Sunday, 12.06.2011, 16:50 | Message # 36
Course monitor
Awards: 2
Speaking about flower language I want to add interesting information. In Victorian times people often had entire conversations without speaking a word simply by touching flowers. For example a married woman might have left begonia on her entryway table to warn a lover that her husband was home. A young man might have caressed the petals of a vescaria while making eye contact with a young woman. If she in turn touched a striped carnation, his hopes of a dance were dashed.

RinaDate: Sunday, 12.06.2011, 17:40 | Message # 37
Union committee president
Awards: 4
smile how nice! Oh... That's so disappointing that these traditions were lost... To communicate without saying a word - it's so romantic and enigmatic)))

MissJaneDate: Sunday, 12.06.2011, 21:29 | Message # 38
Union organizer
I think they used flower language in order not to get bored. Probably they just didn't have TV or the Internet biggrin
By the way, it is another example of symbolic language. But I have a question in my mind. Were the meanings of certain flowers made up voluntarily or does each flower really have a rich history that enables us to interpret its colour, shape, name?

TanyaDate: Monday, 13.06.2011, 00:00 | Message # 39
Course monitor
Well I am sure that the various flower meanings differed terms of history and folklore. My favorite flower is lily that's why i tried to find some interesting facts about the symbolism of the lily flower. For example Greek lore associates lily meaning with birth and it is a symbol of motherhood because the flower was said to be created from the breast milk of Hera. White lilies symbolize chastity as well as virtue. This was the symbol of Virgin Mary’s purity. The white color is what represents the purity of thought and action as well as sheer innocence.

LuckDate: Wednesday, 15.06.2011, 20:55 | Message # 40
Union organizer
hmm, I have never thought so deep about meanings of flowers)) I just know that I like lilies, roses, camomiles and gerberas)) I always judge by the way they look and smell))

AsyaDate: Thursday, 16.06.2011, 09:23 | Message # 41
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Quote (Luck)
always judge by the way they look and smell))

Me, too. That's why I don't like lilies you've mentioned. (Judging be their smell!!!) biggrin

RinaDate: Thursday, 16.06.2011, 12:11 | Message # 42
Awards: 4
Quote (Luck)
I always judge by the way they look and smell))

Then, my favourite flower is jasmine - I just adore the way is smells))) And I'm quite lucky - a huge jasmin buch grows near my house, so, when I open the windows the room is full of this marvellous fragrance, especially now when jasmin is blooming))))

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 18.06.2011, 16:21 | Message # 43
Dean
We've mentioned the meanings of various colours and the origin of flowers but still there're so many different classifications, stories and legends! Of course I'm not trying to cast doubt on mythology, I just take it for granted but as far as the interpretations of colours are concerned I can't even fix my eyes on any particular version!) Maybe it's better to choose the most romantic and touching one?) By the way, the same thing happens with names. Upon my word, I've seen hundreds of explanations!) And what should one be guided by deciding what name to give to a baby then?

MegastarostaDate: Monday, 20.06.2011, 22:51 | Message # 44
Union organizer
Flowers make our life picturesque. It brings us positive emotions. Moreover it smells and usually we like how it smells. There is a kind of therapy - a smell therapy that helpes people to become calm and have a rest.

NadyaDate: Friday, 14.10.2011, 20:34 | Message # 45
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
I agree with you, flowers always make us better, kinder, they teach us to admire and enjoy the beauty, develop our aesthetic feelings and taste. In some countries (for example, Holland) there is even the cult of growing flowers. just look at these fabulous tulips!

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Flowers » Flowers for what (Talks about why people are so keen on flowers)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024