THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Thursday, 16.05.2024, 00:50
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Asya  
Forum » FIRST SUCCESS AT LEARNING ENGLISH - FORUM FOR BEGINNERS » My Fears » I am afraid
I am afraid
lovefootball)Date: Friday, 21.10.2011, 13:31 | Message # 46
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Agree but I think we've gone a bit astray. Actually for the most part we've been discussing not true fears but something repulsive and simply unpleasant. I guess it's more of a whim or dusgust. Where does the border between these two notions lie then? By the way, if having fears is so natural, why do we all try to get rid of them or at least conceal by all means possible? Is it a desire not to look vulnerable?

AsyaDate: Friday, 21.10.2011, 22:46 | Message # 47
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
But fears do make us vulnerable! Show me a dog - and do with me whatever you want. biggrin
Some people are afraid of darkness. And this fear doesn't let them lead a normal life. They're afraid of staying at home alone, of going somewhere in the evening - just imagine how many opportunities they miss!
Our fears always deprive us of some joys of life. That's why we try to get rid of them.

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 22.10.2011, 19:10 | Message # 48
Dean
Sure...it has just crossed my mind - what if people simply need such kind of stimulation, an obstacle or something? You know, there're a lot of enthusiasts who openly admit that their life is incomplete without thrill, I can say it after our Russian manner -"pepper"))) To tell the truth for me it's abnormal. I'm an adherent of predictability and don't need any external interference in order to be excited and happy. But still it depends on one's temper.

AsyaDate: Sunday, 23.10.2011, 02:23 | Message # 49
I'm also for predictability. But your theory deserves special attention. smile
In order to develop we really have to overcome obstacles. But at the same time, are our fears so very much connected with our personal growth?
I can provide one example from history (or, I'd better say pre-history). Ancient people were afraid of wild animals. So they learned to get fire. And that's (to my mind) a perfect example of fears stimulating the development of the human race.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 24.10.2011, 11:11 | Message # 50
Dean
I haven't thought about it yet, actually my knowledge of history leaves much to be desired, so it just hasn't crossed my mind))) And what about present? Sometimes I think that there's nothing more to be invented) Of course, it's a common mistake, not more. It's so natural and proper to turn a minus into a plus! I wish we all knew how to do it with least possible trouble!

AsyaDate: Tuesday, 25.10.2011, 23:17 | Message # 51
My creative thinking may be quite good but at the same time when it comes to practice, I'll definitely fail to bring my own ideas into life. I mean that though I can try and manage to explain why fears are beneficial for us I'll still be suffering from my own ones. That's why I won't even waste time. Fears are destructive. Let's agree upon that. tongue

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 25.10.2011, 23:57 | Message # 52
Union organizer
Group: Friends
I am afraid of thoughts. No joking. Thoughts are the only one thing I fear so much. Sometimes I start to feel thoughts are living creatures that exist and flourish in our minds making us beautiful, smart, interesting, helpful... but at the same time they are uncontrollable. There are moments, when I realize I'm on the verge of crying - something has just crossed my mind and disturbed the balance of 'positive' and 'negative'. Then I'm trying to follow the chain of my thoughts backwards - to the starting point - and understand it was just an unpleasant recollection or just my fantasy. I mean, you never know what you might think of all of a sudden - and that scares me.

It's also very damaging to your health to think about something you fear a lot. For instance, we all know, sooner or later we will face our relatives dying. Some of us will probably go through a tough period when our dearest are seriously ill and we will have to take care of them. Or someone will lose a husband or a wife, or children. The thing is you don't know when it will happen to you. We are afraid of this uncertainty, of hardships and sorrows. Anyway, it's inevitable. There is no other way for us to avoid it except from accepting it bravely and wisely.

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 26.10.2011, 20:36 | Message # 53
Dean
Oh, I do understand you perfectly!!!!!! Some time ago I used to think about the things you've mentioned (I don't want to enumerate them once more) almost all the time. It was really horrible, I couldn't get those thoughts out of my head. God, the only memorymakes me shiver now. The point is that you're what you think and it's not a truism. Maybe the hardest challenge is not to overcome fears but to compel your thoughts to will, that's what's worthy.

AmarantaDate: Thursday, 29.03.2012, 23:23 | Message # 54
Monitor
Awards: 0
Of course, I have fears. Unfortunately, I have a lot of them but I`m going to tell you about just one fear in order not to seem too cowardly wink . I`m afraid of wood-louses. They are detestable, loathsome, disgusting creatures!!!! I`ve been afraid of them since childhood. One day, while playing in the garden, I saw a nice blue (it was my favourite colour) casket. It was temptingly shining in the sun. I opened it and A GREAT NUMBER OF LOATHSOME WOOD-LOUSES CREPT OUT. They coiled and tried to bite me. Since then I've hated these creatures.

mrsbukaleDate: Friday, 06.04.2012, 13:11 | Message # 55
Monitor
It is a shame for me to speak about my fears but still, some of them are faraway because I have overcome them. When I was a child I was afraid of darkness. I thought if a light is off, many people from other worlds look at me and they can kill me. I couldn`t sleep alone especially if it was raining because I thought that a UFO was watching me. I was afraid of height and when I knew that in a month my family and I were going to go abroad by plain, I told my father that I would go there by ship. But as we know all our fears can disappear if we overbear ourselves. Now I can say it bravely because I am not afraid of darkness and height. I have a new fear.. but it is a secret. I will try to find a way to chuck it off and if I find I`ll say it here crazy

Message edited by mrsbukale - Friday, 06.04.2012, 15:40

IrinaDate: Sunday, 15.04.2012, 23:26 | Message # 56
Monitor
Every person has a lot of fears. As for me, I'm afraid of height. Especially when I was a child.That's why I don't like carousels. But now the main fear for my is loneliness. I can not live without communication. So my friends play a very important role in my life.

RosebudDate: Friday, 18.05.2012, 10:58 | Message # 57
Monitor
To tell the truth, I have a lot of fears. I am afraid of height, staying alone at night and hear strange sounds, going alone in a dark street. I am afraid that smth bad may happen with my relatives and friends. Uncertainty also frightens me. I hate myself for cowardice. But we shouldn't forget, that some fears serve as our rescue.

Nikky0638Date: Friday, 25.05.2012, 00:28 | Message # 58
Monitor
Everyonе has his own fears and their may be several. As for me I am afraid the day of doom. It hurts to look at how people treat with nature, how they destroy it from year to year. And now we can see a lot of programs where different scientists tell us about this fact how the earth takes revenge to us. It is manifested by a tsunami, earthquake, etc. I would like to believe that people will change but I am sure that it will never happen.

Message edited by Nikky0638 - Friday, 25.05.2012, 00:36

GoldilocksDate: Sunday, 27.05.2012, 17:51 | Message # 59
Monitor
Just as many other people I have some fears. Some of them are common: fear of death, darkness and loneliness. I am also very much afraid of dogs. When I was a little child a dog bite me. It was very painful so I don't want it to happen again.

SarahDate: Monday, 28.05.2012, 11:52 | Message # 60
Student
there are so many fears in our life!I'm afraid of height.I can't imagine how the pilots work.

Forum » FIRST SUCCESS AT LEARNING ENGLISH - FORUM FOR BEGINNERS » My Fears » I am afraid
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024