THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Sunday, 05.05.2024, 01:46
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Theatre and Acting » How often do you go to the theatre or an opera house? (theatre)
How often do you go to the theatre or an opera house?
How often do you go to the theatre or an opera house?
1. Very rarely. [ 6 ] [33.33%]
2. It depends... But not so often. [ 12 ] [66.67%]
3. Quite often. [ 0 ] [0.00%]
Answers total: 18
NekavaenDate: Sunday, 01.05.2011, 21:19 | Message # 16
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
I think if life gives a chance to see and feel something new, one should certainly try. Still I agree with Lovefootball) that it’s impossible to experience everything.

Speaking about art, I’m sure it’s not good to be hooked on one single music style and listen to the same melodies all the time. In a similar manner, trying to get new impressions in one kind of art has nothing to do with cultural development. We can’t force ourselves to understand those spiritual phenomena that seem vague and useless, but we should at least be aware of their meaning and origin because they are part of our history. And before saying that something is boring and banal, we should know a lot about this thing.

At the same time I don’t think that if somebody doesn’t go to the theatre or to the cinema, we can call him or her ignorant and narrow-minded. It’s the same thing as if we admitted that a person who doesn’t understand Maths at school will achieve nothing in this life. Maybe he or she is a genius in literature and can compose wonderful verses.

Maybe, for example, a person has seen ballet many times and still finds it strange and not interesting. But he or she likes some other arts: literature, painting, cinema, folk dance, architecture… It’s not bad if someone doesn’t LIKE or doesn’t UNDERSTAND certain kinds of art, but it’s not reasonable when someone DENIES the fact they are valuable and important.

I think we are all different. I can't imagine a situation when everyone likes the same things, possesses the same knowledge and uses the same paths to enlightenment. If a person tries to educate the spirit, it’s praiseworthy anyway, no matter which and how many channels of cultural experience he or she uses. When I see a young person reading a book nowadays, I’m happy, really.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

VoozzyDate: Thursday, 05.05.2011, 20:44 | Message # 17
Student
Awards: 0
Frankly speaking, i`m not a theatre-goer, because i don`t have much time to visit theatre, it`s bad... But i like theatres a lot, because people there are different... They are polite and kind to other people and i like it. More than that, the performances are usually very interesting and bring me pleasure. If i have some free time, i think i`ll go to some theatre)

Former-TeacherDate: Friday, 06.05.2011, 09:11 | Message # 18
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
I am happy to be part of this discussion. BTW, A few days ago I watched a premiere performance 'The School of Seduction" (Школа соблазна). Folks, it's GREAT!!! It's one of the best modern comedy plays staged by the Ryazan Drama Theatre! A lot of humour and irony! A lot of life wisdom! It is based on a grown-up story of marital infidelity, is easy to understand. But I'm not sure whether it's suitable for the under-sixteens!

AsyaDate: Saturday, 07.05.2011, 16:35 | Message # 19
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Teacher, do you know what story it is based upon? could you name the author?
Having read you message I've understood that I do want to watch this performance. Is anybody willing to join me????

RinaDate: Saturday, 07.05.2011, 19:55 | Message # 20
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
I'm always willing to join you, you know))) And the brief description given by our teacher made me really intrigued.
Actually, I was going to watch a performance "Sweet Bird of Youth" based on Tennessee Williams's play. My spanish teacher has told me that it's great and I usually try to follow her advice, because the things she recommends never make me disappointed.

AsyaDate: Saturday, 07.05.2011, 20:13 | Message # 21
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
Great!!!!! Thank you, Rina!
Hopefully, we'll manage to do it soon (unlike our trip to Moscow, I mean). cool
I think it would also be a nice idea to go to the theatre altogether, as a group, don't you think so?

2YoungDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 00:23 | Message # 22
Monitor
Well, i can't say i visit theatre very often, but it's because i can hardly find anything worth watching. Practically all the plays available are written by young writers, who have not much experience, or some about some old truth, something i already know.

Metus, dolor, mors ac formidines

Former-TeacherDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 09:03 | Message # 23
Dean
Quote (Rina)
Actually, I was going to watch a performance "Sweet Bird of Youth"based on Tennessee Williams's play.

Yes, folks! Please, forget about everything and find time to watrch 'Sweet Bird of Youth'. I have already written about it in the other thread. I know the original play very well, we actually had some discussions on T.Williams almost two years ago. The play has been staged by the Ryazan Drama Theatre! The word 'great' doesn't suit the case! It's Incredibly Excellent! The most striking feature is that the acting itself reminds you of birds dancing on the rocks of the seashore, attacking one another or being unusually loving and caring. I have seen a few versions of T.Williams's play including a Holywood movie. I might be wrong, but the RDT's performace is the most revealing, sensual and sensitive of all. Our Ryazan actors have never before acted in this manner.

Former-TeacherDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 09:06 | Message # 24
Dean
Quote (2Young)
but it's because i can hardly find anything worth watching

I think what you are saying is just a kind of defence system not to make yourself learn to look at things through the eyes of other people. Young playwrights produce wonderful plays! Theatres usually stage those plays that have a strong message to the audience. But are we ready to hear the message, though! It's easier to say that a play is not worth watching than to accept the fact the we oftentimes are just carelss and unthinking people.

2YoungDate: Thursday, 12.05.2011, 09:19 | Message # 25
Monitor
Quote (Teacher)
we oftentimes are just carelss and unthinking people.

Yes, perhaps you are right. And perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean, that all the plays are bad and you'd better not watch them. I meant, that there are very few unusual plays rhat are interesting for me. Practically all the plays have happy ends, so I know already the ending entering a theatre. There are few tragadies or something, where you don't know what will happen.

Metus, dolor, mors ac formidines

RinaDate: Sunday, 22.05.2011, 16:40 | Message # 26
Quote (2Young)
ractically all the plays available are written by young writers, who have not much experience, or some about some old truth, something i already know.

To be honest, I adore young writers - they are far from being trivial. most of them are fed up with classic theatre, so, they are trying something new and are ready to experience something unusual. Just give them a chance and I hope you won't be dissapointed))
Quote (2Young)
Practically all the plays have happy ends, so I know already the ending entering a theatre.

The same problem sad and what about performances with an "open end"? I can hardly remember any. As for tragedies... I've even lost hope((

LuckDate: Monday, 06.06.2011, 23:15 | Message # 27
Union organizer
Awards: 5
I voted here for the "very rare" point because unfortunately I go to the theatre really not so often. And I know that it's me who is to blame, I can only create an exuse "there is no time for that" but..well if you have a desire to go then you'll go. And yestreday I really enjoyed the performance by the norwegian theatre. The play was dedicated to football. The actors managed to express so many things concerning a football match, players' emotions and so on through the dance. That was a really amazing and extraordinary show. I had no idea that it's possubly to "play football" so excellent... in the theatre!

RinaDate: Tuesday, 07.06.2011, 00:28 | Message # 28
Did your family also enjoy the performance?
I'm happy to read that you really liked it. Asya has told me that it was in German, wasn't it? Did you manage to understand what the actors were talking about?
btw, shame on me I also go to the theatre very rarely. And now when the theatrical season is over, I have to wait until it starts again... only in autumn(((

Flower-girlDate: Friday, 30.03.2012, 11:51 | Message # 29
Monitor
Awards: 1
Oh theatre! Actually I can't live without this kind of art, I find it wonderful and every performance involves us in this charming world. I believe everybody should be interested in theatre, because theatre is unique and nobody can exist without art.

TeacherDate: Friday, 30.03.2012, 14:20 | Message # 30
Head teacher
Flower-girl, what performance did you visit last time? Have you ever played in theater? What role would you like to play?

In Vino Veritas...

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Theatre and Acting » How often do you go to the theatre or an opera house? (theatre)
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024