THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Thursday, 02.05.2024, 04:34
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Luck  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Shopping - A Necessity or an Addiction » Shopping as a sign of love
Shopping as a sign of love
NadyaDate: Sunday, 16.01.2011, 18:28 | Message # 1
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
Shopping is one of the main ways of expressing love. For example, in contemporary English families, people do not talk about love. Love is expressed by paying attention to what others want. Do you agree with it? Do you usually buy something beautiful for somebody very important to show your love?

Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 17.01.2011, 09:43 | Message # 2
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
I think I do. Personally, I consider it important to express your love of another person by buying some things. Humourously, I sometimes make fun of myself and my purchases saying that it's a sign of egocentrism...Of course, it can't and doesn't substitute real affection and care, but let all beautiful and necessary things be always bought to us by those who love or care about us.

NadyaDate: Monday, 24.01.2011, 19:33 | Message # 3
Yes, I also think that it's important to express your love of another person by buying different things.
And what do you usually buy, to express your love??

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 25.01.2011, 15:31 | Message # 4
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Agree, I think there's something pompous and in some cases even insincere in all these lofty words about love. I'm not against them, of course, but it's very easy to go over the top as far as they're concerned. Though it sounds banal, I'm sure that actions speak louder than words. People should buy (or make!) something pleasant for each other but the purchases should be thought-out.

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 10.02.2011, 00:51 | Message # 5
Head teacher
Awards: 1
I'm sure truth never sounds banal. smile
I like to buy presents for those people who play an important role in my life. I try to use my imagination and often turn the process of giftgiving into a small performance. I think it's cool to make surprises, still not all people are easy to please...

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 10.02.2011, 21:01 | Message # 6
Dean
The most pleasant thing here is that you don't need to wait for some special event, you can just make an ordinary day special! And it's a good training against selfishness - you don't expect to get anything in return!) One more advantage - it's a convenient and easy way of pleasing someone.

Former-TeacherDate: Friday, 11.02.2011, 09:01 | Message # 7
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Please, please me! Oh, yeah! And I will be yours! biggrin biggrin biggrin

NadyaDate: Sunday, 13.02.2011, 11:45 | Message # 8
Haha biggrin
I suppose everyone likes to get presents. As for me, I'm very happy when people give me, for example, just a post card when I have a birthday. It means that the person who gives me such a present haven't forgotten about my holiday.

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 13.02.2011, 17:35 | Message # 9
Dean
And I have quite a different attitude to postcards, to tell the truth I find them useless, especially those with vulgar congratulations that are supposed to be ironical and unusual. But that doesn't mean I'm against postcards. I just regard them as letters with nice cover and present them only to more or less close people. If I decide to do so,I choose a blank card and write the text myself and it's not just congratulations but a frank and sicere letter. To my mind, it's a good way to say everything, you feel shy to tell to face.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 15.02.2011, 14:03 | Message # 10
Head teacher
Yes, it’s very important to present a person who is special to you with a postcard that’s not blank and not full of nice words composed and written by somebody else.

To be honest, I hate being presented with purchased postcards. I prefer to get self-made (or self-drawn biggrin ) ones. Yes, they may not be ideal and amazingly beautiful but they are more valuable for me anyway. It takes a lot of effort to produce one - when I realize it, I feel that a present-giver really appreciates me!

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 16.02.2011, 11:38 | Message # 11
Dean
That's true. And do you draw such cards yourself? Anyway, they are more worthy keeping and (I know it sounds funny and banal) showing to our grandchildren)) By the way, all of us used to make presents ourselves in the childhood but unfortunately this practice became useless when we grew older. Of course, I don't mean we should restore the tradition but still sometimes it can be very relevant.

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 17.02.2011, 08:05 | Message # 12
Head teacher
Yes, sometimes I make such postcards myself. Still I more often present my relatives and friends with self-made toys, napkins and mufflers. I’m fond of crocheting.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 17.02.2011, 11:49 | Message # 13
Dean
Wow, you're such a many-sided person! I admire people who can turn their hand to almost anything. I've never been good at needlework that's why such delicate work enchants me. Besides, such presents are very useful and can give coziness to any interior.

BlackAngelDate: Monday, 25.04.2011, 15:48 | Message # 14
Monitor
When we want to buy something, we go to a shop.There are many kinds of shops in every town or city.I like to do my shopping at big department stores and supermarkets.In a food supermarket we can also buy many different things at once: sausages, fish, sugar, macaroni, flour, cereals, tea.In the women's clothing department you can find dresses, costumes, blouses, skirts, coats, beautiful underwear and many other things.Shopping is a part of our daily life

NadyaDate: Thursday, 28.04.2011, 20:10 | Message # 15
Do you think that shopping in a supermarket (buying food) can be a sign of love? If you do, when we buy food to show somebody our love? Is it sometimes really better to buy it than, for example, a small present or a souvenir?

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Shopping - A Necessity or an Addiction » Shopping as a sign of love
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024