THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Thursday, 02.05.2024, 15:49
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Luck  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Shopping - A Necessity or an Addiction » Shopping as a sign of love
Shopping as a sign of love
NekavaenDate: Sunday, 01.05.2011, 21:06 | Message # 16
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
If we buy products and then prepare a delicious meal for someone we can’t live without, then shopping can be considered a sign of devotion.
And if we simply present someone with his or her favorite food, it isn’t a bad thing either. Cute souvenirs are great but … when your home is already full of toys, funny cups, postcards and photo frames of all kinds, you may start dreaming of a present that won’t occupy any space and therefore you won’t have to decide where to put it! Food smells and tastes nice and you can simply share it with others.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 02.05.2011, 15:56 | Message # 17
Dean
Awards: 3
I don't like these little souvenirs either, they seem to be a mere excuse, trivial and sometimes even vulgar. Your idea about meals is great! It reminds me of a scene from some romantic film))) You know, She comes home after a tiring day, apprehending piles of dirty dishes and her husband lying on the sofa drinking beer but voilà! What she sees is a set table (only for two of course), a bottle of excellent wine...A nice surprise isn't it?))))

NadyaDate: Wednesday, 04.05.2011, 19:02 | Message # 18
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
Of course, it is:) That is what I'm talking about. Shopping doesn't presuppose only buying souvenirs, bunches of flowers or other things. Food can also be a nice (sometimes even the best) present. And if your friend (or a relative) had a birthday and you decided to buy him/her food as a present, what would you buy? What is the best food present in your opinion?

RinaDate: Wednesday, 04.05.2011, 22:35 | Message # 19
Group: Friends
Awards: 4
There's a tradition – when you visit a friend of yours, don't forget to buy a cake or a box of chocolates. Or when you visit your relatives who live in another city, you usually present them with different kinds of food – everything from chocolate bars to sausages and fish. You remember the Russian word for it? “Gostintsy”))) even this word has the root “Gost'”))) So, it seems quite logical to present somebody you visit with smth delicious))

AsyaDate: Thursday, 05.05.2011, 09:18 | Message # 20
Awards: 6
I think this tradition has quite logical roots. When you are presented with a cake what are you supposed to do?! yes, to make a tea-party or just to invite your friends to your kitchen and eat the cake together. So, it's just a hint "I've brought you a cake. And you'll make us tea". Don't you think so?!

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 05.05.2011, 19:24 | Message # 21
Dean
Ha-ha, fancy the poor guest's disappointment when his friend defiantly ignores an inviting, appetizing, wonderful chocolate cake!!!))) I guess it may become an end to their relations))) Well, speaking seriously, we shouldn't mix up a sincere desire to please someone when you put your heart into this affair and mere courtesy (we regard it as a must!).

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 10.05.2011, 21:07 | Message # 22
Of course, most people buy a cake or a box of chocolate if they visit somebody. I don't think that buying cakes is always mere courtesy. I also think that buying sweets (or chocolate) is one of the best choices because almost all people are happy to get them as a sign of love. But don't you think that sometimes it can be quite banal? Is there something very pleasant and unexpected that you can give someone?

Former-TeacherDate: Wednesday, 11.05.2011, 08:53 | Message # 23
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Quote (Nekavaen)
when your home is already full of toys, funny cups, postcards and photo frames of all kinds, you may start dreaming of a present that won’t occupy any space

Well, why not look at these funny little gifts as a chance to make somebody happy! You may find it self-pleasing if you just give a few of your little toys or photo frames to somebody else. The giver won't be offended if he/she understands that his/her gift has made the recepient more generous and outgoing. Collect some of your toys and give them to children in children's homes. Or when you go shopping next time, if might well think of buying a toy for a child in a children's care centre. It will be a sign of love of others. That's how you extend your values.

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 11.05.2011, 17:35 | Message # 24
Dean
Nadya, I think there are a lot of such opportunities thanks to various modern services! You can order an undreamt-of cake ( and it isn't necessarily very expensive!). For example, my groupmate gave such a present to one of his friends some days ago. She showed us its photos and I should say that the cake looked fantastic: it was Winnie the Pooh stylized, so cute!)))) As for something funny and simple, I remember that once a friend of mine was presented with bananas! By the way, they are healthy and useful...)

NadyaDate: Wednesday, 11.05.2011, 19:02 | Message # 25
Well...fruits can also be a good present!:) As for me, I'm always happy if somebody brings me a lug-box with different fruits: bananas, tangerines, apples, pears, berries and so on. It's always very pleasant. And you are right- more than that, fruits are healthy and useful (especially if a girl keeps a diet))) ).

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 14.05.2011, 17:33 | Message # 26
Dean
Oh,and another thing! Chocolate! I don't mean just a box of sweets but something creative (it's similar with the cakes I meantioned before). As far as I know there are even chocolate colourings and children can decide themselves what "paints" to use! That's cool!!! It's like a never ending game wich takes new forms. And I've completely forgotten about figures! Chocolate guns for men, graceful statuettes for women...The best detail is that all that is eatable)))))))) Besides, such presents can be individual only, I mean you can order someone's portrait!

NadyaDate: Friday, 20.05.2011, 19:24 | Message # 27
Yeah, I find these present really great!:)
But lets talk about this theme: are all signs of love good for people?. For example, a lot of women or men buy different toys for their children. Of course, it is a sign of love. But should we do this? I mean is it the right way? Because such a sign of love can even make a child more capricious.

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 20.05.2011, 20:38 | Message # 28
Dean
And can you imagine a child who doesn't have toys? Poor thing! He'll try to compensate for it by all means when he grows old and I'm afraid it wouldn'r resemble a funny harmless game. Besides, toys are absolutely essential for a child's proper development and cognizing of the world. As for being capricious and spoilt...well, it all depends on upbringing and parental carefulness. After all teddy-bears rank with clothes, mobile phones, cars, houses...do you feel what I'm hinting at?) A thing itself doesn't have any connotation and it acquires it only through some special attention.

MegastarostaDate: Monday, 20.06.2011, 23:29 | Message # 29
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Awards: 2
I like to make small presents for my closer friends and relatives. I think that the reason for presenting small cute gifts is to make a person smiling, to astonish him or her. And it is not always important how big is the gift.

NadyaDate: Saturday, 25.06.2011, 13:28 | Message # 30
I didn't mean that parents mustn't buy toys for their children. You understood the problem in a different way))) You are absolutely right that toys are essential for a child's proper development. But the problem lies in permissiveness, not in toys. Some people buy different things for their children (by the way, these children can be already grown-up) or close people just to satisfy another whim. And, in my opinion, this isn't an expression of love, is it?

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Shopping - A Necessity or an Addiction » Shopping as a sign of love
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024