THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 27.04.2024, 15:22
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Luck  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Shopping - A Necessity or an Addiction » Shopping as an addiction
Shopping as an addiction
NekavaenDate: Friday, 18.03.2011, 00:00 | Message # 16
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
I think it’s hardly possible to choose one person whose image is considered to be an eternal icon of beauty and style. Yes, there are some famous actresses and singers who’ll stay acknowledged goddesses for years, but they are all so different! Marilyn Monroe and Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Tailor and Audrey Hepburn… Even if we look at modern celebrities, we’ll see a great variety of females: women of all races, constitutions, hair styles… And they are all popular and have millions of fans.

But if I personally had to choose only one woman, I would vote for Elizabeth Tailor. To my mind, a blond shouldn’t be an icon, because brunettes are more vivid and passionate by nature. That’s why men like them more, and these preferences can be easily understood.

Attachments: 1352102.jpg (21.5 Kb)

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 21.03.2011, 21:09 | Message # 17
Dean
Awards: 3
But blondes are milder, more feminine and coquettish, I think. Anyway, we're speaking about collective images, stereotypes and the certain types. Hm, is it really true that hair color has any influence on one's personality? Of course, it's pointless to expect radical changes but still...does a woman feel different after dying her hair?
By the way, as far as modern actresses are concerned I can say for sure that my ideal is Monica Bellucci. Gosh, she is perfectness itself!!! Irrespective of hair colour))

Former-TeacherDate: Tuesday, 22.03.2011, 09:45 | Message # 18
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Quote (lovefootball))
does a woman feel different after dying her hair?

Yes, she does! It's simple to understand. First of al, learn to obesserve and conclude. Start observing yourself. When you change something about your apperance (dress, shoes, hairdo, nails, makeup, handbag, etc), do you feel different? Men also feel different about their appearance! I feel different wearing a suit and tie, jeans and a T-shirt, old clothes or worn-our shoes. It's also important to change clothes not only because of the weather, but one's mood as well. When you feel elitated, dress birght smart or casual attire. I also pay attention to one's hair and shoes!

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 22.03.2011, 19:22 | Message # 19
Dean
So that's a question of confidence and self-perception? Agree, there's a certain chain, I mean we can add only a slight detail that is not even visible for others but what an effect it causes! I've noticed it in my own behaviour, one begins to feel relaxed and absolutely confident. But I think the best is the desire to pay a compliment to somebody!At least I have such a wish when I'm sure in my own looks.

NadyaDate: Thursday, 28.04.2011, 20:29 | Message # 20
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
I think even a small detail can make our appearence better or worse. But everything depends on people. If a person is fully confident, people won't see any shortcoming, they will see a good appearence. If you feel uncomfortable, for example, because of your new hair color, people will feel the same. Just walk with a steady gait, smile and everything will be great! smile

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 28.05.2011, 20:36 | Message # 21
Dean
It's easy to say...I'm really strongly convinced that the world around is the reflection of our thoughts and mood but still it would be too naive (unfortunately!!!) to suppose that all women are equally confident, full of dignity and queenliness. Actually, self-doubt and disparagement are the root of evil! I mean they cause problems with sudies, work, friends and private life. People (even if they are friendly-spirited at first) feel "slack" and start to use it for their own benefit! It can be the beginning of a great fall and a woman will regard herself as a victim for all her life, becoming more and more embittered and blaming everyone for all her misfortunes. An awful perspective. So! Can confidence be developed? Then how?

NadyaDate: Thursday, 02.06.2011, 11:38 | Message # 22
I think every person can develop confidence in himself/herself. Of course, it's not so easy (especially for diffident people). BUT, in my opinion, if you set yourself it as an object, everything is possible. People just should overcome their complexes. For example, they should try to meet new people, they should always tell themselves they look perfectly etc. It doesn't mean that a person will be very confident the next day. But it really helps. Anyway, everybody must have inner will which is very important and indispensable to life.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 02.06.2011, 19:16 | Message # 23
Dean
So, flight fire with fire?)) I mean the best way to overcome fear is to meet it face to face? Well, I'm not sure...If a person is just reserved and reticent by nature, why should he torture himself and make new acquaintances? Of course, retreating into one's shell is out of the question (we all are socialized individuals)) but a peculiarity remains a peculiarity. People are supposed to be different and it implies character, nervous system and so on. Another thing is to learn how to live with it in order to be in harmony with yourself and the world around you. This process really requires hard work and what is more important taking into account the experience of previous generations. As for auto-training I agree with you completely and I can add that it's more efficient to couple it with visualization.

NadyaDate: Friday, 03.06.2011, 10:37 | Message # 24
Yes, in my opinion, we should always meet our fears face to face or else we just achieve nothing. And I think if a person is reticent by nature and he doesn't want to torture himself, maybe it's better for him not to change? I mean he feels comfortable being a diffident person. But if he wants to change, to be different, what do you think he should do? Auto-training, as I've already said, is a very important and big part of overcoming yourself but it isn't enough to do it. If we decide to vanquish our fear, we should do it thoroughly (including such kinds of training as meeting new people, sometimes even torturing yourself). If you really want to be confident, you will do everything for that even if it will be quite difficult.

lovefootball)Date: Friday, 03.06.2011, 20:44 | Message # 25
Dean
Agree, if it's your aim and you're absolutely sure that the chosen lifestyle is the only way imaginable, then work it!!! But it's necessary to realize how much endeavours you will have to do. Not without reason it's said,"Well begun is half done", so it's better to begin with a certain plan and the more elaborated it is the better! Then comes the most dificult thing - you must stick to the strategy...that's where a lot of people become embarrassed. I can even say it's a kind of test! By the way, what do you think about professional help? I mean psychologists. I've heard that it's really efficient but not in the case of our country...

NadyaDate: Saturday, 04.06.2011, 10:52 | Message # 26
Well, if a person is able to overcome his fear himself and become confident, then professional help isn't necessary. But if a person very reticent and timid, I think it's very good and useful to visit a psychologist. Why not? Psychologists can help you to work out some methods (and such professional advices will always assist you, of course, if a psychologist is really good). And I find it great that psychologists can offer you their help at any time in other countries. But in our country going to the psychologists isn't very popular, maybe because people are not used to spending their money on such things. Anyway, if you have a desire and money, you can always use professional help.

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 04.06.2011, 21:58 | Message # 27
Dean
Speaking abstractly I agree with you but if the time comes for action I doubt the fact that I will consult a psychologist. The reasons are various! First and foremost, it's fear. I just can't trust a person who I see for the first time no matter how professional and tactful he is. Deep in my mind I'm guided by the eternal truth, "all that you say can be used against you." Another thing is apprehension, I mean we're overloaded with "shocking" news about swindle and it's natural to suppose that we expect some trick almost from everyone) But maybe the true reason is bravado...or on the contrary, it's excessive self-confidence.

MissJaneDate: Saturday, 04.06.2011, 23:19 | Message # 28
Union organizer
Group: Friends
Returning to the topic biggrin
I must confess I really can't stop buying books... It is an obsession! When I come to a book store, I just can't do anything but buy another book. Psychology, languages, history, different kinds of reference books, fiction, business, law, medicine, crafts, sport, cooking... In every book I see my urgent necessity. The only thing is that many of them are still untouched in my bookshelves (as well as on the table, near the table, under the table). So it's dangerous for me to come close to a bookstall - there's no chance I leave it without a purchase. Is it a diagnosis? smile

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 05.06.2011, 18:34 | Message # 29
Dean
Ohhh, it's so difficult to me to refrain from buying a new book especially the one concerning languages! Actually, it depends on the mood and on the department that catches my eye first) Sometimes I prefer detective stories by Agatha Christie or Dick Francis! It's immortal classics, the books that can't be just passed by...Have you read francis? His works are devoted to jockeys and horseracing. When I heard about them for the first time I took no notice of the fact but last summer when everyone was hiding from heat I started one book and fell in love with it almost at once! So, I hope it's not a diagnosis...)

AsyaDate: Monday, 06.06.2011, 08:03 | Message # 30
Awards: 6
About horses? Thank you, lovefootball). You see, my sister is keen on reading books about horse-riding. When we come to the book store, the first thing she does is: she comes to the shop-assistant and asks, "Do you have books about horses?". biggrin
Thank you again!

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Shopping - A Necessity or an Addiction » Shopping as an addiction
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024