THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Thursday, 28.03.2024, 15:25
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Luck  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Shopping - A Necessity or an Addiction » Shopping as an addiction
Shopping as an addiction
NadyaDate: Sunday, 16.01.2011, 18:28 | Message # 1
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
Hi, everybody! Let's talk about shopping.
We go shopping every day for different reasons: to make our mood better, to buy something necessary etc. But some people can't stop doing this: shopaholics. They are just crazy about shopping. For example, Trudi Susyn had been spending as much as 7,000 dollars per week on clothes, shoes and beauty products. She even killed herself after the therapy to help her with her addiction failed.
So why do you go shopping?
Is it necessary for you?
Are you a shopaholic?
Have you got an example of "crazy" shopping in your life?
Do you go "window shopping"?

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 16.01.2011, 19:14 | Message # 2
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Well, first we should clarify the question. I mean shopping can be different and as far as I can make out we're speaking about buying clothes and different trifles. As far as this point is concerned, I adore shopping but in most cases I buy things according to some system, so it's a rare event when I "throw the cap over the mill" and buy everything that attracts me. I don't think I'm a shopaholic just because I know how to save money and spend it efficiently. Yet, it doesn't mean I can't make a spontaneous decision to please myself and buy something nice.And as to window shopping, I can't stand it. I hold to the opinion that one should have a distinct goal. All in all, one should have head screwed on the right way.

Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 17.01.2011, 10:00 | Message # 3
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
Well, I would probably argue about window shopping! I adore it. Unfortunately, I haven't got much time to do it, but if there is a chance,I always do window shopping. I developed this habit when I was in the USA. I stayed there nine months, and when I felt like going somewhere, I often went window shopping. I even made up a theory - window shopping is like going to a museum of modern human thought and lifestyle - colours, smells, sounds, clothes, devices, shoes, accessories, toys, furnitures, books...anything that your mind and eyes adore... and people from different walks of life... Window shopping is a good therapy for well-balanced people who need to feast their eyes on human inventions.
At least once in two weeks I do some kind of window shopping. I like doing it in the ATRON or CRUISE shopping centres, M-VIDEO stores, ATEMI, or at least once in two moths I go browsing to car dealers (car trading showrooms). This is one of my favourite activities - I go into the car showroom, choose the car that I seem to like or see it as a possible future purchase, get in, try the car equipment, talk to the assistants ... It's so great!

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 17.01.2011, 15:51 | Message # 4
Dean
That's very interesting! And as far as cars are concerned, is it just a kind of entertainment for you? Or you kill two birds with one stone and observe or make some notes in order to make a good purchase in the future?

Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 17.01.2011, 16:04 | Message # 5
Dean
Browsing in a car dealer's is first of all a good kind of entertainment for me, then it is a kind of 'watching seminar' from which I learn a lot about cars, then it is a kind of future planning, then it is a kind of interaction centre for me where I can talk to people who respect me just because I am a potential and promising client. The same is about window shopping in other places. I like browsing through shelves with miscellanious equipment or furniture showrooms. I really see real people behind all of these things.

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 18.01.2011, 16:34 | Message # 6
Dean
And do you think that's applicable to women? I mean window shopping in clothing stores and the like. I'm not sure that many women, especially young ones, can understand and appreciate this activity. But maybe I'm just speaking from the practical point of view and the question requires some other slant.

Former-TeacherDate: Tuesday, 18.01.2011, 17:27 | Message # 7
Dean
Absolutely so. I think that all women should do window shopping to please their eyes with something beautiful, new or unusual. It's important for women from all points of view. I also think that it is part of female socialization culture. It is also part of a woman's body language. If a woman doesn't do window shopping, there is something strange and suspicious about her. When a woman does window shopping, she makes important decisions and choices. Often, these decisions and choices involve her whole personality and tell us a lot about the female character. Psychologically, when a woman makes a choice, she thinks about other people. In this case, a woman is often an extrovert. When a young girl goes window shopping, it means that she goes socializing, she 'marks' her sociocultural boundaries. No, it's better to say that she is expanding her 'territory', 'her social circle', she is bringing herself to the world. It's so necessary for women to be out there, quite often, to get more positive energy before she retires to a more closed world of her family (though it is also very nice and positive). A woman needs more communication than a man. A man can spend more time alone and will survive. A woman needs a wider 'social support' and 'social acceptance'. That's why I adore when my wife does window shopping, and I often encourage her to do it or we do it together.

NadyaDate: Monday, 24.01.2011, 19:29 | Message # 8
I think that window shopping isn't a bad thing. I agree that it's useful to please our eyes with something beautiful and new. Also, I think that it helps women to relax. It is better to do window shopping than spend a lot of money on different things like shopaholics, isn't it?

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 10.02.2011, 00:41 | Message # 9
Head teacher
Awards: 1
You are right, Nadya. I also think window shopping helps people to please their eyes and save money. Still not all of us are strong enough to fight the wish to buy everything that comes into sight and seems more or less fashionable and nice.

To my mind, there are two basic types of people who become shopaholics. The first group includes those who just have plenty of money and everyday face an essential problem: “WHAT, WHAT ELSE to do with it?” They never worry about prices. They just come to the shop and if there are 10 or more articles of clothing or pairs of shoes that suit them (they may not even like the things they are going to buy), they don’t try to choose one or two and ask the shop-assistant to issue a check for everything. They can visit shops everyday and get great pleasure wasting money on shopping. So, they enjoy the process of paying.

The second group consists of people who go shopping not because they are enormously rich (the income doesn’t play the main role here); but because they really enjoy the process of choosing and trying new things (the word “new” is a key-word here). They are keen on the ideas of “cool fashion and style” and try to buy as many clothes, shoes, cosmetics, disks, etc as they can. The dominating motive is to be always good-looking, neat, stylish and be equipped with all sorts of helpful things for all possible occasions.

Shopaholism is often criticized and ridiculed nowadays. Some people call it a silly caprice; others argue and consider it to be a serious mental disorder. Nevertheless, it’s definitely out of norm and can always be a sign of hidden psychological problems. No matter why a person is a hyperactive buyer, he or she could spend the time wasted on another useless bargain in a different way – on talking to friends, preparing a delicious meal for dear family members, playing tennis, watering flowers in the garden, writing a book, going to church, etc. Maybe, the person is too lonely and tries to fill an empty home and relieve the broken heart with hundreds of things that are dumb and unfeeling but please the senses of their owner and upgrade his or her mood. Maybe, the person has no hobby, feels bored and falls back upon shopping as a chance to relax.

When I see shopaholics and talk to them, I always regret about the time they have spent on visiting shops. Money really means nothing – it can be lost and earned again. But our lifetime moves in one particular direction. We can count down the days only in our fantasies.

Luckily, there are shopaholics who sincerely confess there’s something wrong with their behavior. Though they can’t change quickly, they try to find ways to improve the situation and use their addiction for noble purposes. We know that many famous people who are widely acknowledged shopaholics and possess huge “collections” of clothes, shoes, books, watches, etc., take part in public sales and set out their expensive lots. Then they pass all netted money to various charitable funds.

I think ordinary people, who feel they are really addicted to shopping and due to this fact have too many belongings they no longer need, can follow this example. Unnecessary things can be passed to those who suffer from the lack of them. Yes, I know not everyone is ready to share with others for free, especially nowadays…

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Message edited by Nekavaen - Thursday, 10.02.2011, 00:44

Suigintou_RozenDate: Monday, 28.02.2011, 15:05 | Message # 10
Course monitor
I really like shopping and don't think that window shopping is bad. While shopping, I can relax, have fun with my friends and get a lot of creative ideas. But sometimes shopping can become a disease. It happens when a person can't fill void in his heart-for example during the times of personal depression.Yes, it is very sad and these people need help. Shopping is a good way to get rid of depression.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 28.02.2011, 22:24 | Message # 11
Dean
Agree, shopping can serve as a kind of therapy but I think it's just a protective shell, not more. It brings only temporary relief and then the situation gets even worse. But if you don't suffer from anything serious, shopping is a perfect medicine! I doubt the fact that everyone will participate in my joy but I do believe in the magical influence of shopping!)))

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 01.03.2011, 12:13 | Message # 12
Thank you Nekavaen for such a detailed description of the theme about shopaholism. I really think that it's a topical theme nowadays. In my opinion, people shouldn't spend too much on their clothes, shoes, cosmetics etc. Remember a proverb- "Beauty is only skin deep"

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 01.03.2011, 21:15 | Message # 13
Dean
It should be noted that people have different ideas about "too much"))))) And beauty....ooh! Can you explain what beauty is? It sometimes seems to me that people's thoughts concerning this notion are incomparable and even polar! I am not speaking about spiritual beauty now because any cover should contain some content. I'd like to talk about the physical aspect as I'm absolutely sure that it's important.

NadyaDate: Wednesday, 02.03.2011, 20:28 | Message # 14
Well I mean people always try to look very good and there is nothing bad in that. But some people, especially girls, spend a lot of time in different salons, buy a lot of clothes, shoes and they talk only about their visits to hairdressers or stylists. In my opinion the word "beauty" means a combination of intellect and appearance. People must pay attention to their appearance, but it mustn't "be beyond the scope". I just think our mind is more important than our perfect appearance smile

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 02.03.2011, 20:54 | Message # 15
Dean
And do you think that beauty presupposes some classical, canonical features? Or singularity is also welcome? I've always tried to decide who of the famous people could be called a real beauty at all times and some weeks ago we had a long discussion about it with my friend. We decided in favour of Marilyn Monroe. Do you agree?

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Shopping - A Necessity or an Addiction » Shopping as an addiction
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024