THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 27.04.2024, 15:20
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum moderator: Luck  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Shopping - A Necessity or an Addiction » Shopping as an addiction
Shopping as an addiction
NadyaDate: Monday, 06.06.2011, 12:28 | Message # 31
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 0
I think a book addiction is a "positive diagnosis" smile I suppose it would be great if everybody had it because books bring us only joy. More than that, a book is our faithful friend that forms our values and our characters. As for me, I also love to buy different books and it doesn't really matter what a book is about.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 06.06.2011, 20:43 | Message # 32
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Ha-ha, with such an approach it's easy to start reading everything that is within touch, without distinction))))) I doubt the fact that this attitude is positive. Actually it can be interpreted differently. On the one hand a willing (above measure, I should say!))) reader may turn out to be just an enthusiast or fan (maybe he collects various editions of the same book, why not, people have the right to be keen almost on anything))).What other reasons? Well, a search (an exquisite taste is not given to everyone by nature!) or, however unpleasant it is, mere "window dressing" in order to impress others and make a pitch for oneself.

NadyaDate: Wednesday, 08.06.2011, 13:58 | Message # 33
I don't share your opinion about "the book addiction". I think it's better to spend your money on books that will always be useful for you than on different small things, trickets. Even if, as you've said, "it is mere "window dressing" in order to impress others and make a pitch for oneself", it's better to impress someone with the books than with something useless, isn't it?)) More than that, in most cases, books have never done any harm to people. Anyway, it's just my opinion))

MissJaneDate: Wednesday, 08.06.2011, 15:51 | Message # 34
Union organizer
Group: Friends
I suppose the addiction for books is just a habit that won't do anyone harm (except for my purse). But the roots of this "disease" are still unknown to me. Probably, I feel that I lack information and strive for new books and editions. Probably, it's all due to my desire to keep track of the latest publications in the world of literature. But it is more likely that I try to cling to the miraculous atmosphere of reading and can't defy the strong impulse to fill my apartment with books.

Another fact that is worth mentioning is the growth of the bookstore net in the city, although we claim the role of books in modern society is dramatically decreasing. The prices for books are also rising up and even a thin booklet that will help you brush up your knowledge before an exam costs a hundred rubles. What are the reasons? Inflation?
So when buying a book is a necessity (not an addiction), then you will probably face the lack of money in your pocket. The Internet can’t provide you with EVERYTHING you want and need and you have to go to a book shop and buy. But the prices are too high.

LuckDate: Wednesday, 08.06.2011, 23:26 | Message # 35
Union organizer
Awards: 5
My mom has bought an e-book so now she can just download books and read them using this e-book. This is very convenient, you do not need to spend money at all. And reading via an e-book does not do any harm at all. But I still would prefer to take an ordinary book and hold it in my hands while reading. Though I do not read as much as my mom does so maybe that is why I think that it's better just to go to the library or to buy a book.

NadyaDate: Thursday, 09.06.2011, 08:51 | Message # 36
An e-book is quite a good choice for people who read a lot. But what are the advantages of such a book? Is it really better to buy an e-book and download any novels and stories you want to read or not to forget ordinary books and still buy them or take them in the libraries?

LuckDate: Thursday, 09.06.2011, 11:03 | Message # 37
Union organizer
I suppose there is only one advantage and it's pretty clear: having an e-book you do not need to spend money for buying ordinary books (and as you know, they are quite expensive now). As for some differencies between an e-book and an ordinary book, then I see none (if it is not an e-book of a size 10cm*10cm!). And I think people who use this electronic device will agree with me.

Former-TeacherDate: Thursday, 09.06.2011, 13:51 | Message # 38
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
How bis is an e-book? How many e-books can you have in one e-book?

NadyaDate: Thursday, 09.06.2011, 17:57 | Message # 39
Everything depends on the memory of an e-book. As I know, some e-books can have thousands or even tens of thousands of books in them. So, I think if you have such a book, there is a great opportunity to download any books you like and read them whenever you want!

LuckDate: Thursday, 09.06.2011, 23:59 | Message # 40
Union organizer
Yes, and it is a very convenient thing. It looks like a screen of the laptop)) well as for the size, then it depends. You can have a really small e-book, and also a pretty big one. And to my mind, the most important thing is that your eyes do not feel tired after such reading.

MissJaneDate: Sunday, 12.06.2011, 00:20 | Message # 41
Union organizer
Still, if the advantages of an e-book are so clear, why don't the majority buy it? Is the price too heavy? I haven't thought of buying the device in earnest so you are welcome to talk me into it.
By the way, what I hate about reading books on computer or a cell phone is that I'm slow at searching there something that I need. Here I mean that I can well remember the necessary page in a paper book, but I'm completely hopeless at finding the particular place in an electronic book.

NadyaDate: Tuesday, 14.06.2011, 13:20 | Message # 42
I think people will never stop reading ordinary books. When I'm reading a book, I always pay my attention to its typography, drawings and, to tell the truth, sometimes all of it really helps me to calm down. Maybe it sounds strange but it can be very pleasant even to touch pages of ordinary book. As for e-book (even if it's very convinient), it can't provide that..

LuckDate: Wednesday, 15.06.2011, 21:00 | Message # 43
Union organizer
I would not say that the majority of people do not buy e-books, it's right the opposite. And it's pretty easy to find a necessary page there because on the screen you can see absolutely the same what you can see when you open an ordinary book. I do not make anyone buy such a book)) I just want to say such books do have many advantages as well.

RinaDate: Thursday, 16.06.2011, 21:14 | Message # 44
Awards: 4
Hm... Some years ago I really wanted to buy an e-book, but then when I got used to reading books on my laptop or telephone, I just don't need any. May be it's not convinien for some people, but for me it's very comfortable. And I always can find everything I need in the book using "search" button)) E-books have only one disadbantage - you can't TOUCH THE PAGES... When you are reading a BOOK, touch its pages, turn them over, you relax and enjoy it a lot. Because reading is not just getting information - it is a mix of visual, audial and tactile sensations.

MegastarostaDate: Monday, 20.06.2011, 23:32 | Message # 45
Union organizer
Awards: 2
It is necessary to spend money and go shopping. As for me, for example, shopping is a good way to think of a new diet or to visit my cosmetologist. shopping brings us positive emotions and there s a proverb that if you want to change something in you life, begin with yourself.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Shopping - A Necessity or an Addiction » Shopping as an addiction
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024