THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Saturday, 04.05.2024, 05:34
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Drinking as Social Behaviour » Reasons for Heavy Drinking
Reasons for Heavy Drinking
Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 28.03.2011, 14:16 | Message # 1
Dean
Group: Admins
Awards: 2
I would like you to discuss the reasons and consequences of this social problem. As usual, I start with a list of questions.
1) Why do people drink heavily?
2) What social factors make a person fall into drinking?
3) Is there any connection between heavy drinking and one's social status?
4) Is drinking a serious illnes that needs treating or a bad habit that needs punishing?
5) Is drinking a huge problem in our country?
6) How can we describe the psychology of an alcohol-abusing person?
7) Is drinking age-related or is it agelss?
8) Can we call drinking a type of social behavior?
9) Or is it a sign of personal weekness or an attitude to life?
10) Is drinking a way to solve psychological problems?

It's good if you start answering these questions. I am also inviting you to add a similar list of questions of the issue.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 29.03.2011, 14:35 | Message # 2
Head teacher
Group: Users
Awards: 1
I’m writing a term paper in psychology right now. It’s about teenagers who start drinking alcohol regularly at school. A lot of questions appeared in my mind after talking to 9th grade pupils and checking their psychological tests.

1) At what age should we start talking to our children about the risk of losing everything and becoming nobody because of unnatural love for drinking?
2) What preventive measures does our society need to save young generation from total alcoholization?
3) What are the criteria for deciding: is a person an alcoholic or not?
4) If we confess that alcoholism is a serious illness that can’t be cured easily, then: is it a hereditary ailment?
5) Are the factors causing male and female alcoholism the same or different? Which one is more difficult to treat?
6) Why is alcohol extremely dangerous for pregnant women?
7) Who suffers more from regular heavy drinking – the society, the person or his or her family?
8) What suffers more from immoderate drinking: body or soul?
9) How do people with different characters behave in the state of intoxication? Why?
10) Is depression a reason for heavy drinking or a result of it?

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 29.03.2011, 20:09 | Message # 3
Dean
Awards: 3
The reasons are various: dissatisfaction, family troubles, difficulties at work, misunderstanding, treason, divorce, someone's death, the desire to stand the pace. Besides, they differ depending on one's age, for example, everybody knows that teenagers can drink to express their objection or to come into notice. As far as the status is concerned, I'm not sure it's a determining factor. Of course,poverty aggravates the situation but still people of all positions degrade in the same way.

NekavaenDate: Thursday, 31.03.2011, 10:25 | Message # 4
Head teacher
I also think that alcoholism can ruin the lives of people of all social backgrounds. The only difference is the drink. Somebody is possessed by cheap moonshine, somebody – by expensive brandy.

Speaking about age, I support the following idea: young people are likely to start drinking if they get acquainted with a bad company; on the contrary, grown-ups search for “drunken happiness” when they become solitude.

lovefootball)Date: Thursday, 31.03.2011, 12:45 | Message # 5
Dean
That's true...Such an interesting idea. As far as young people are concerned, what is bad company? Of course, I understand that you mean idlers who are always wandering about seeking free alcohol. But what about so-called gilded youth? Is the essence the same?

NekavaenDate: Sunday, 03.04.2011, 10:31 | Message # 6
Head teacher
Yes, such companies can also be dangerous for young people.

Firstly, when you are young and have a lot of money (that you’ve got easily without any efforts), so many temptations beckon you… A lot of rich children become alcoholics and drug addicts just because they are spoilt and don’t have to study hard (a good job place is already prepared for them). Why not have fun and go on the booze?

Secondly, youngsters who belong to “glided youth” are likely to accept a wrong system of values, in which you always ask the interlocutor about his or her income and according to this information decide: should the talk be continued or not? That’s why they humiliate people who have lower social status all the time and don’t care about the fate of middle class and poor citizens. In the state of intoxication “golden children” can commit severe crimes: beat servants, kill street dwellers, run over pregnant women and children. Nobody will punish them (in our country it’s always so).

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 03.04.2011, 21:12 | Message # 7
Dean
That's true...I don't even know what is worse. And what about future generations? How will such people bring up their children?! Fortunately, there're exceptions to the rule. I know young people from prosperous families and can't say anything bad of them. Of course, they can allow themselves a lot but they don't turn this fact into something special. On the contrary, they work, study and besides, are very pleasant to talk to.

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 05.04.2011, 16:08 | Message # 8
Head teacher
I also have acquaintances from rich families who behave like ordinary people and can be good companions, but they are few… As a rule, living in luxury depraves people and makes them stubborn and fretful.

And speaking about future generations, life is unpredictable and there is always a way-out, a chance to become better. Of course, the kids of poor alcoholics and rich debauchees won’t possess good home education and won’t get much care from their parents. But they may find well-mannered friends in the outer world or meet wise elders at school, Uni and then at work. Such people can help unlucky offsprings to find a right spiritual guiding line. Besides, having careless parents can become a good stimulus for active self-education. If a person is purposeful and noble by nature, he or she won’t repeat his or her relatives’ mistakes. Also religion can help to become kinder and forget fathers and mothers for being indifferent or cruel.

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 05.04.2011, 19:50 | Message # 9
Dean
All you've mentiones is absolutely right but it's an ideal variant. It presupposes self-cultivation, lofty aims,strength of mind, confidence, patience...Even children from normal families often lack these qualities. Maybe, government can be of great help such cases. I mean various social programs and things like that.

NikkyDate: Wednesday, 06.04.2011, 18:04 | Message # 10
Course monitor
Awards: 0
I think that reasons for the young can be different. The main are the upbringing, situation in the family and of course friends. If parent have given their child good education and upbringing, I think person won't go on about a bad company. But of course there can be some exeptions.
Another thing that causes alcoholism among teenagers is advertisement. I mean, that a lot of teens see "cool" guys or beautiful ladies drinking alcohol on TV. And, they begin to drink because they want to be on their place.
So, even restrictions can't stop the young. Because some of shop asistant don't care about children, they just want to earn more.

lovefootball)Date: Wednesday, 06.04.2011, 20:32 | Message # 11
Dean
Agree and moreover, restrictions only goad one's curiosity! You know, teenagers,radicalism, instincts, the desire to do everything the other way round and from spite. But I disagree on the first point. Of course, family is a significant factor but still children with proper upbringing are also apt to various influences. The difference is that most of them go through such periods without serious consequences.

NekavaenDate: Friday, 08.04.2011, 10:09 | Message # 12
Head teacher
Many young people start drinking alcohol because it helps them to feel relaxed and confident. When you are a bit drunk, the world seems brighter, the people around are more hilarious and it’s certainly easier to start spontaneous conversation with unknown but cool girls/boys!

The problem is that the longer we drink, the faster adaptation develops. That’s why each time a person needs more and more alcohol to achieve satisfaction. At the beginning stage just one glass of beer will be enough to start horsing around in happiness. At the terminal stage one will drink several litters and only then say: “I’m full”. But this time he or she won’t sing songs peacefully – a furious quarrel or even a violent crime can happen.

lovefootball)Date: Saturday, 09.04.2011, 18:34 | Message # 13
Dean
You mean it's too naive to suppose that teenagers from successful and happy families can pass such period with minimal losses? Well, maybe...But where is the way out then? Even if a stable family is not a hundred-percent guarantee, it's a dead end. is there anything lasting, hard, maybe severe that can hold young people from this great mistake? Parents aren't authoritative enough, OK, but what about peers or famous sportsmen? In this case having an idol may serve the good turn.

NekavaenDate: Sunday, 10.04.2011, 10:28 | Message # 14
Head teacher
Maybe. People who are hooked on sport are likely to take care of their own health and demand the same from children. A sportsman can teach a kid how to train properly, plan nutrition and so on. If children are proud of their parents’ achievements, they will certainly follow the right example and become reasonable people with a sound constitution and healthy mind.
However, the opposite result is always possible. The rules of healthy lifestyle can be strictly imposed on children. In such a case youngsters may start drinking and smoking in revenge.

NikkyDate: Wednesday, 20.04.2011, 17:55 | Message # 15
Course monitor
Awards: 0
Quote (lovefootball))
Agree and moreover, restrictions only cause one's curiosity!

Yes. That's why every parent should tell his\her child that he\she shouldn't do something just because of curiosity. He\she must think a lot before doing something!
Quote (Nekavaen)
In such a case youngsters may start drinking and smoking in revenge.

Yes, because they think that doing forbidden things can help to become free from imposition.
It's a problem of upbringing. Parents should try to explain but not to impose.

Forum » MISCELLANEOUS - LIFE AS IT IS » Drinking as Social Behaviour » Reasons for Heavy Drinking
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024