THE WORLD OF ENGLISH Sunday, 05.05.2024, 10:48
Welcome Guest | RSS
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum moderator: Seagull  
Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Topics for Discsussion » Should we speak about scientific achievements? (modern science)
Should we speak about scientific achievements?
Should we speak about scientific achievments?
1. Yes, I think it would be interesting. [ 6 ] [66.67%]
2. No, it's a boring thing to do. [ 1 ] [11.11%]
3. I don't mind. And I don't care. I can speak about everything and everybody. [ 2 ] [22.22%]
Answers total: 9
AsyaDate: Tuesday, 07.09.2010, 09:30 | Message # 1
Union committee president
Group: Moders
Awards: 6
I suppose that it's highly advisable that we discuss scientific issues. Nowadays we have to admit that science is developing rapidly. And what's been some nonsense several decades ago causes no wonder and surprise now. There are so many interesting scientific achievements we even don't know about yet!

lovefootball)Date: Tuesday, 07.09.2010, 10:10 | Message # 2
Dean
Group: Users
Awards: 3
I think it may be interesting to discuss some scientific products that can be really applicable to life.

MissJaneDate: Tuesday, 07.09.2010, 17:47 | Message # 3
Union organizer
Group: Friends
To my mind, this topis is not only interesting, but is of extreme use. I personally would like to follow the latest news about computer novelties in software and some information helpful to an active internet user.

AyayuliaDate: Thursday, 16.09.2010, 19:23 | Message # 4
Union organizer
Awards: 2
I don't want to discuss achievements in the sphere of Physics or Chemistry. It is rather boring for me. But I'm eager to do it when the matter concerns our every-day life, so-to-say useful achievements

Cherry_boomDate: Thursday, 20.01.2011, 19:40 | Message # 5
Student
Awards: 0
I agree that we should discuss achievements which are somehow connected with our everyday life. In this case it will not be a set of boring facts but useful information which can make our life easier. On the other hand, these may be useless but funny achievements. For example, Japanese "vacuum cleaner vice verse". It was invented in order to reduce the amount of crimes.

NekavaenDate: Friday, 21.01.2011, 12:55 | Message # 6
Head teacher
Awards: 1
Our attitude to scientific achievements depends on our background knowledge, hobbies, tastes. I’m ready to support your idea about devices and discoveries that are useful in everyday life. Yes, they may be interesting for almost everybody.

But not everyone will consider serious scientific investigations boring. For example, I know biology and chemistry very well and I can easily understand all complicated terms used by scientists. I like to read special books on these branches of science. I’ve always been interested in all discoveries connected with physiology, genetics, microbiology, biotechnology, virology, evolutional biology.

I like to read scientific fiction, I believe that aliens exist and we’ll meet them someday. Also, my granddad is a physicist, and when I was a little child, he taught me to use a telescope and told me a lot of interesting facts about the origin of the Universe, about the births and deaths of stars and planets, about the structure of comets and asteroids. We often watch the Moon, Mars and Venice together now. So, I am crazy about astronomy and space exploration. News about breakthroughs in these fields always draws my attention.

It is not human to be without shame and without desire. (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Message edited by Nekavaen - Friday, 21.01.2011, 16:51

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 22.01.2011, 09:28 | Message # 7
Dean
Group: Admins
Quote (Nekavaen)
I’ve always been interested in all discoveries connected with physiology, genetics, microbiology, biotechnology, virology, evolutional biology.

I am glad to have learnt that you have such diverse interests in matters of natural sciences. Since you have some understanding and knowledge about evolutional biology, could briefly explain here what it is about or give site links to websites? Why are you keen on evolutional biology? Is it really so captivating?

NekavaenDate: Tuesday, 25.01.2011, 16:23 | Message # 8
Head teacher
Evolutional biology is a branch of biology that draws its attention to the diversity of life forms and their changes over time. The main goals of this science are to study the mechanisms of evolution and to understand how living creatures adapt to various alterations of environmental conditions. It can be done through observation of fossil records and classification of living organisms according to obvious differences and similarities in their anatomy and genes.

When we hear the word “evolution”, we often think: “Oh, that’s what Darwin discovered!” Yes, Darwin did a lot for the understanding of the fact that our world is not static, all animals are somehow related to each other and natural factors contribute to the process of evolution. But he was not the first man who spoke about it. We can find primitive but convincing ideas of natural development and changes in the ancient religious systems of India, China, Greece, Egypt. A lot of famous scientists before Darwin spoke of evolution but he was the first one to create a scientific theory. But afterwards his ideas were criticized because Darwin took into account mostly morphological criteria and based his research on the principles of natural selection, fight for survival and inherited diversity and knew nothing about DNA, mutations and gene flows.

Why am I so keen on it? Because evolutional biology can tell us who we really are, what our place in this world is and what may happen to the humankind and other living creatures in the future. Modern science has achieved great heights in this field but there are certain factors that may affect our involvement in the discussions on this topic. One of the most important factors is our religious position. You know, there are people who think that a person of faith must believe that God rules the world according to His own purpose, and through modern technologies and scientific achievements we learn secrets we shouldn’t know. There are also those who believe only in the “triumph of reason” and deny religious values though sometimes they should be put on the first place (for example, when we decide to make human cloning legal).

I think it’s strange and silly to think that the world around us originated and developed on its own way without any interference from above. Yes, there are certain laws of nature that are unique for the whole Universe and almost all processes that take place inside living organisms, in natural environment, in outer space can be described and explained with the help of modern science. But then we should ask ourselves a question: who established these laws? Of course, there are those who try to prove that the Nature itself is powerful enough for self-development and self-regulation (there are even theories based on the hypothesis that the Earth is alive and intelligent). I can’t believe it’s true.

I tend to think that evolution exists and it’s God who controls the process. Maybe, it’s a kind of experiment, who knows…
I know about a never-ending collision between Church and Science. If you ask my opinion about Christian Creation and evolution, I will say the following. I’ve read the Bible. I did it not because I was forced or advised to do it, no. Being honest, there are few religious people among my relatives and friends, most of them are pure atheists. But I’ve always believed that there are powerful sacred forces that lead us through time and space, affect the destiny of the humankind and the development of our planet, help people in difficult situations and punish them for bad deeds and thoughts. I decided to read the Bible because I wanted to get answers to many questions.
I’m sure the New Testament can become a spiritual guide for a thinking and noble person because it gives everyone a chance to become better, shows us vivid examples of self-sacrifice, honesty, wisdom, kindness and proves that God loves all people equally. But the Old Testament… I don’t want to discuss the idea that the Jews are the chosen ones and God, who is extremely angry and unpredictable, cares only about their happiness and is merciless towards all other peoples. Bloody sacrificial offerings, incest… I was shocked…

We are talking about the origin of the world and evolution, right. So, is the origin of the world described in the Book of Genesis seems strange and doubtful to me. The origin of people seems even stranger. I’m sure that the humans couldn’t be the first living creatures that appeared in the world. They were the last. It’s a proved fact that living organisms keep becoming more and more complicated and this tendency continues even nowadays. Maybe, we humans are not the best ones when it comes to evaluating and comparing us with animals in strength, speed, etc.
But we possess the most powerful intellect on this planet. We are the only ones who have religion, art, written language. We are the dominating species nowadays. But to get so high, our ancestors had to go through billions of small and total changes. I think it’s possible that we and monkeys had one forefather but we turned out to be a bit luckier.

I know my thoughts may sound silly or childish but I always say what I think, I’m not afraid to do it and I’m ready to accept all criticism.
I believe that Life constantly changes on our planet and the biological evolution of animals develops in one direction – living creatures become more and more similar to God. I think that we were not “created in the image of God” from the very beginning. What for? Why did God make first intelligent beings that resembled Him (or Her) and then a great number of “simpler ones”? I look at gradual complication of various organs and body systems from Pisces to Amphibians, from Reptiles to Birds and Mammals, from rodents to people and doubt that humans existed forever. Are we the terminal point in evolution? Nobody knows.

I can give links to several sites.
The first page is devoted to the process of evolution in general and the information may seem a bit complicated in English but actually it belongs to contemporary school program.
http://www.onelife.com/evolve/evolution.html

The second link leads to a short report about human evolution.
http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/biology/humanevolution/humevol.html

The third link is the most interesting one. It leads to an essay of a man who tries to prove that religious and scientific views on the problem of evolution are not opposite in reality.
http://www.onelife.com/evolve/darwin.html

Former-TeacherDate: Saturday, 29.01.2011, 09:21 | Message # 9
Dean
Impressed! Really! Such a long message! I think the other users will find a lot of useful and interesting info in your composition. Besides, I think it's a good idea if you start your own blog or forum on this site on the matters of natural sciences. The main purpose of your blog/forum can be something like - to learn to understand evolutionary processes on our planet and how they are perceived by humanity. Moreover, I believe it will be a good venue for all of those who want to raise their erudition and become more informed individuals. This can be a beneficial project for all of us. Thanks again.
There are few questions that I would like to ask you...But next time...

Fr_ArseniosDate: Saturday, 29.01.2011, 14:51 | Message # 10
Student
Awards: 0
Nekavaen, your theme is very interesting and important because it concerns every person. If a person tries to answer the most important questions of life, he must answer one of the questions: evolution or creation? It's a principal question it determines the answers to all other questions. If I believe in evolution, everything that I do in my life doesn't have any sense, because the end of my life is a plant on my grave. But if I believe in Creation, I know that I was created for future life. Speaking about evolution and creation, I treat them as opposing phenomena. Creation doesn't deny evolution to some limits.

lovefootball)Date: Sunday, 30.01.2011, 17:45 | Message # 11
Dean
Why do you put the issue like this? I think it's too radical. The same is with the question of the meaning of life: no one knows the answer to it and the more we think about it, the more unbelievable and even absurd our ideas become. The most curious thing here is that life doesn't get better or worse depending on the possible answers.Besides, I think this subject has two aspects. There's some analogy: evolution and creation = body and soul. I mean they go together, because our bodies will be in-earthed, and our souls will have another destiny.

Former-TeacherDate: Monday, 31.01.2011, 09:32 | Message # 12
Dean
Quote (lovefootball))
The same is with the question of the meaning of life: no one knows the answer to it and the more we think about it, the more unbelievable and even absurd our ideas become.

Why can't you look at your own ideas from another angle? The meaning of life is not known to anybody who adheres to the evolutional theory. The meaning of life is very clear to the one who holds a creational concept of life. Creation presupposes evolution, life a conception of a child presupposes growth, i.e. evolution. Please, re-read some of the blog post on religious matters by click on the link http://groupa.ucoz.co.uk/blog....2
Well, I think we should transfer the discussion into the new forum thread on 'Creation vs Evolution'.
Can I ask you to start contributing to this thread by finding some relevant info on 'creation/evolution' in the I-net and reviewing main concepts?

NekavaenDate: Monday, 31.01.2011, 13:34 | Message # 13
Head teacher
Lovefootball), I like your analogy: “evolution and creation = body and soul”. I guess it shows us how religion and science supplement each other. A soul makes a body of one particular person alive, thinking, emotional and believing. Creation as divine will made the whole world around us animate and developing.

Science tells us how the Universe and the Man appeared (I believe someday we’ll know how exactly it was). Religion helps us to understand who made it possible and for what. Only if we combine them and use both of them for active investigation of our bodies and souls and the world around, we’ll be able to comprehend our true mission on this planet.

lovefootball)Date: Monday, 31.01.2011, 14:39 | Message # 14
Dean
Agree with you. I believe in the idea of creation and I don't even cast doubt upon it. Still, we shouldn't be fanatic about that, that's why I've drawn the above mentioned parallel. Besides, I've found another one: world (this notion is vague) and universe ( this one is cosmological). Do you think this opposition is also important? And what is the difference for you?
Teacher, so you agree that these two notions are closely connected? And I'm not sure about the meaning of life: not all Christians know it and it isn't so obvious. I guess it's a philosophical and very private question, isn't it?

MissJaneDate: Sunday, 06.02.2011, 12:39 | Message # 15
Union organizer
It's fun to see how interconnected the issues are. Religion? Science? Yes, and more than that it is impossible to talk about one separate matter without showing its tangible connections to other spheres of life. The reason is flat - theory can't go without practice. We do not need pure science - there's no sense in indulging in purely theoretical questions only for the sake of finding a definite, but useless answer. The aim of any branch of science is to promote every other field of knowledge and to make amendments in modern life conditions.
It's odd but the aim of science (as I've put it above) has been quite an opposite one for centuries. Church hampered the progress in science, science denied the existence of God. To be a scientist meant to be out of society and to lead a secure life of a recluse. In some sense, a man of science (because they were mostly men, in fact) could be considered to have a special religion. Or, in other cases, they were actual believers, but were called heretics.
What is really important is that today we are on the road to reconciling these two implacable enemies of all times - religion and science. Some people have difficulties agreeing with this, but indeed, religion and science have much in common; first and foremost, it is their common goal - to explain and educate. They employ different methods but both of them are different sides of the same coin. The only thing that disappoints me is that nowadays people turn out to be not atheists (because atheists believe in reason and truth and they are only a few steps away from believers) but they become nihilists, or destructionists who do not believe in anything.

Forum » UNIVERSITY LIFE » Topics for Discsussion » Should we speak about scientific achievements? (modern science)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024